Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Re: Before and after.

My father was in the building trade and was an expert plasterer and glazier.
I wish I had got him to teach me how to plaster. He taught me how to tile walls and the basics of cutting glass, both of which have been useful. The rest (plumbing,joinery etc) I picked up from watching others. Fortunately Mrs.Grumble is pretty good at plastering and painting.

This is a pic of a pair of doors that I hand-made myself. I couldn't buy doors to match the original Victorian doors in the house so I had no choice but to make bespoke ones..

Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Great photo VM. Is it an old mill that's been converted into apartments?
A link to the Mill's conversion that I penned several years ago in, for me, happier times.

http://www.tomal.oddquine.co.uk/storyofmill.htm
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 08:45 PM

Tony.I remember you being so happy when you first moved there or around that time. I so hope you are still as happy even though I know it won't be quite the same.

Grumblewagon. Those doors are super. You are so clever.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2015, 09:19 PM

When my husband had problems climbing the stairs we decided to have our integral garage made into a bedroom cum ensuite with a walk in shower.

Can't show you the garage as didn't take photos of it but here is the bedroom /ensuite.

So ideal for me as I don't have to climb the stairs to the other bedrooms only when I have the girls or company stay.

Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the compliments, but without the use of decent power tools, I'd have difficulty cutting a straight line! Cutting out the mortice & tenons by hand for doors is tedious, but I had practice when I made a pair of garage doors at my last house. It's quite difficult buying new traditionally made doors, and no two doors in this house are the same size! If I had to replace one, buying a good bespoke door would probably be £300+ each.

Lovely garage conversion.. interestingly, traditional Scottish houses often have the master bedroom downstairs. Ours does, but then the lounge is upstairs!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Maursey your kitchen is beautiful. Must be a pleasure to work around in
maursey
hertfordshire

29-03-2015, 03:12 PM

Thank you Myra. It is. I even sit and do my art work in the kitchen as it's so bright with two windows and one over the door and a small one on the right further up which you can't see.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2015, 08:50 AM

I love your kitchen Maursey. The cupboards are just what I'd pick for myself if I could afford a new kitchen.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top