Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Re: The Tax Trap

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Training for people at certain stages of life so they can transition into new jobs as their old jobs become less .

When I was 49 I was made redundant , I asked the job centre to retrain me , I'd worked in shops all my life . They willingly sent me on a 6 month course to understand computers etc , I was trained to type , I learned how to fully use a computer and gained experience and confidence , I then got offered a job in an accountants as receptionist and eventually did secretarial work . The training company were happy as they got more boxes ticked as I was considered unemployable as I was nearly 50 .

Then age 57 I decided to retrain again , I changed jobs and became a foot health professional best thing I ever did .

P.S. I call myself a jack of all trades and a master of none

I'm not sure if the training company's are still there at the job centres to help others though , the one I trained with was subsidised by the government . It was called Paragon Training
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 12:05 PM

This is a very specific example. IMO it's not that easy to get benefits now so this is an optimistic scenario for the minimum wage family. But middle income earners are being increasingly squeezed. The 50k to 70k bracket more so than others.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 12:07 PM

There are some very closed minds on here plying the tory hate and bile mantra that those on benefits are subhuman, yet have these people not contributed to the pot during their working days.

Many jobs contribute to bad health, or even snatched away for political ideology, having support when its needed is something i believe in.

This money is then spent in the economy to help keep businesses going, a few may well be scroungers we seem to have imported a fair share of those
but they are in the minority, every section of society has some. Most here grew up through a time when houses and work were not hard to come by

Very different now, and especially if your not part of the London centric bubble
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 12:08 PM

I've asked about training many times all I've ever been offered was paid for courses that as a cleaner I haven't been able to afford. I'm not convinced the systems actually work that well but I'm very glad they helped you Susan.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
There are some very closed minds on here plying the tory hate and bile mantra that those on benefits are subhuman, yet have these people not contributed to the pot during their working days.

Many jobs contribute to bad health, or even snatched away for political ideology, having support when its needed is something i believe in.

This money is then spent in the economy to help keep businesses going, a few may well be scroungers we seem to have imported a fair share of those
but they are in the minority, every section of society has some. Most here grew up through a time when houses and work were not hard to come by

Very different now, and especially if your not part of the London centric bubble
Agree with everything you've said there except the London centric comment because IMO housing down here is even worse to find than elsewhere especially with cuts to housing benefit where you can find it doesn't covet a rabbit hutch let alone a family home.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 01:30 PM

I simply don't know how anyone affords a family home anywhere in the south.
I know a four bedroomed house costs anywhere from £1400+ pm .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-07-2017, 01:36 PM

One beds are nearly a thousand muddy its criminal really.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
One beds are nearly a thousand muddy its criminal really.
True. My son and his wife live in a one bedroom flat in London, really only big enough for a single person, rent is over a thousand pounds a month. He will never be able to get on the housing ladder.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

22-07-2017, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
True. My son and his wife live in a one bedroom flat in London, really only big enough for a single person, rent is over a thousand pounds a month. He will never be able to get on the housing ladder.
Many of us can't even earn enough a month to afford that even. If prices don't fall I can see thousands on the streets in the next decade.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2017, 02:06 PM

I don't think house prices will ever fall.
It's supply and demand .
There is a dearth of housing both in the private and state sector so how can it?

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top