Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 09:18 PM

Re: The beginning, middle or End?.......or none of the above!

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Supermom,
I hope you had a nice trip this last week.
Thank you for your thoughts and experience shared with me/us.

I know I started this thread and I am pleased that some great pieces of knowledge have come out of it However I confess that understanding what is clear to you will take me time to process.. I think I've been given some good pointers, now I need to find my own path to understanding the meaning of life. the universe and everything.
(sorry Douglas Adams. the answer is not 42)
His books gave me the biggest, longest bellylaughs of my late teens
I remember sunbathin on the tar garage roof reading and weeping with sheer shocked delight!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Supermom,
I hope you had a nice trip this last week.
Thank you for your thoughts and experience shared with me/us.

I know I started this thread and I am pleased that some great pieces of knowledge have come out of it However I confess that understanding what is clear to you will take me time to process.. I think I've been given some good pointers, now I need to find my own path to understanding the meaning of life. the universe and everything.
(sorry Douglas Adams. the answer is not 42)
Robert, it's a pleasure to toss about ideas. In short, you have my respect for coming up with ideas that some of the brightest minds out there have proposed.

Aren't we all hitchhikers...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Oh my life

Taken out of context
That sounds so bad!!!
Au contraire.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 09:46 AM

My theory has always been that we are part of something much, much bigger than ourselves. Perhaps our universe is a mere speck of dust inside a giant's pocket? If you think about a colony of insects living underground or under a rock, they could live their entire lives without discovering what's on the outside. Maybe we are the same.

Of course that doesn't explain a beginning, middle or end.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Indeed we are you sassy frood who really knows where her towel is !

Actually for me, the radio series of Douglas Adam's HHGTTG was one of the things that set me off thinking about the larger questions of life. Books or films tend to do that. I'd always been a keen fan of Science Fiction so Adam's world plus the dry humour really got me hooked.

Then Dan Brown came out with the Da Vinci Code and all of a sudden we find ourselves asking key and challenging questions about Christianity and what people have been told for 100s of years. Was Jesus actually a man who had a relationship with a woman and had children and thus has a blood line even down to this current age?

Whether one believes the fiction or not, what these books do is get you THINKING which is the critical aspect of all. To be able to challenge what we have previously been taught/programmed with is not easy, but is very necessary.

Unfortunately the answers to our questions are not easy to come by because we live in a world in which one or more groups have long since mastered the human race and enslaved it. They don't want the secrets getting out but technology and the internet age kind of make it more difficult.

Ultimately it seems possible to me that they will be able to plug a cable into a person's head (dead or alive) and access all the stored material in the brains equivalent of a hard disk. Thus showing all the visual storage, all the sound recordings, the person's entire life, likely far more content than the person can actually retrieve (remember) themselves from that storage.

When we reach this point there will be no secrets. It will be possible to pick through anyone's mind. All crimes will be solvable if they get the right suspect, politicians will have to act truthfully and so on. Privacy laws will become somewhat complicated. Scary really.

This kind of stuff, to me, seems far more likely to be the correct interpretation of religious material that harps on about great judgement days and standing before God to make an account of one's life. Essentially, in the future, it will be possible to view someone's entire life in this way.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Robert, it's a pleasure to toss about ideas. In short, you have my respect for coming up with ideas that some of the brightest minds out there have proposed.

Yes, indeed we are......

I am encouraged to be mentioned in the same sentence as "some of the brightest minds".

I don't always come up with deep thoughts, more like hidden shallows.

Previously I had limited myself to mysteries such as
"Did Eve have a belly button? "

and

Why was the green hill far away without a city wall?

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top