Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 10:32 AM

The Skills Gap

Why do we have a skills gap in the UK?
So bad that we have to import people from other countries to fill skilled jobs ?

I.e. How can a tiny country like Cuba train and export doctors all over the world while we in the UK cannot?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 10:40 AM

Re: The Skills Gap

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
So bad that we have to import people from other countries to fill skilled jobs ?

I.e. How can a tiny country like Cuba train and export doctors all over the world while we in the UK cannot?

Because Government and 'industry' will not invest sufficient funds into education and training.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 10:43 AM

What do you mean when you say ' industry'?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 11:10 AM

What do you mean when you say ' industry'?

That is why I put it in inverted commas, I mean ALL industry.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
That is why I put it in inverted commas, I mean ALL industry.
I think she knows what 'all' means??
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

28-11-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I think she knows what 'all' means??
Well I would have thought so from my original statement, but it would seem there are some people who cannot understand plain english!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 09:54 AM

Muddy I think it is partly due to the obsession some governments have had with trying to make all children of equal academic ability instead of channelling children according to their strengths and natural practical abilities.

As we have discussed in previous threads, not all children are best suited to an academic further education and would benefit from college based trade apprenticeships .

Cuban doctor training, I don't know but assume it is down to education/training and a health system that is not overburdened and therefore presents an attractive prospect as a profession.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Lack of training in the UK imo is a purposeful strategy to reduce labour costs. UK people expect a certain wage, IT professionals , accountants, bankers, expect a certain wage. Keeping such people trained in the latest software versions or laws is expensive and just means those people will demand more salary. Older peopleesp are more savvy, more clued up, not as easily manipulated and controlled as youngsters.

So in many companies, long termers are flatlined. They find they are not being given any training in new technologies or latest software versions and year on year they become less skilled. At the same time their salaries are flatlined too. They don't get pay rises that meet the continually rising inflation. In fact they are going backwards though many don't realise it. Getting no significant salary increase year on year is actually having salary reduced.

Companies give training to youngsters whilst at the same time investing in cheap foreign labour. You ask why do we have a skills gap? Because companies can pay seasonal economic immigrants far less than long in the tooth UK employees.

In the end, like everything else, you have to take personal responsibility for your own career and your own training at your own expense, just as you have to take responsibility for your own health now. We are all on our own now and left to fend in a world of ruthless competition. Company loyalty counts for nothing.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 10:09 PM

I can go back well over 30 years hearing the CBI saying school leavers are not equipped for the world of work. The Dept of Education saying we are focusing on this and that.

Fine words butter no parsnips. To be honest I`m past caring.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2016, 10:52 PM

When I worked in sales for a major German company, visits to their factories were very instructive - productivity. I read somewhere that British factory productivity is lower than France. In Germany, work began at 0730, no reading newspapers or chatting over paper cups of coffee. Ten minute break for bier und rolls then hard graft.
Unions here are very interested in effective training schemes, middle management less so...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top