Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Greetings Card Maker

We decided that we would try to make our own Christmas cards this year so we could personalise them somewhat. Although there are many programs around, I’m using Serif Craft Artist to make them, this program wasn’t the cheapest but seems very user friendly.

It has many ready-made templates and designs built in, and a huge resource of additional free stuff online including a help forum if you can’t work it out for yourself (a godsend for me ). We bought the special card from WH Smith, the packets also include the envelopes and the card packs happen to be on offer at the moment, buy one get another half price so not a bad deal. We worked out we can produce our own cards ad infinitum for around 45p each, but it’s not only about the money, it’s fun to do as well ….

Anyone else tried this?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Re: Greetings Card Maker

No, not personally but we do have quite a few friends who make their own cards & they are much appreciated,knowing that a lot of time & effort has gone into their production.

My sister makes beautiful cross stitch cards. We can't bear to throw them away & have a drawer full of them.

Good times ahead for indulging in your new pastime, no doubt.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2012, 11:41 PM

Sounds good Barry and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun designing them. I bought a programme quite a few years ago which had lots of templates but it was very basic and not easy to use.

These days I do my own in Elements but I only do a few for family and close friends. You'll have to show us what you've done
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2012, 05:12 PM

I'd be very interested too Marian. I have been saying I'd like to try one of these programmes...but I've no idea what they involve - I'm a bit of a muppet where computers are concerned
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2012, 06:51 PM

I'm the same Jan, would love to try it but whether I could understand what to do is another thing!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I'd be very interested too Marian. I have been saying I'd like to try one of these programmes...but I've no idea what they involve - I'm a bit of a muppet where computers are concerned
Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm the same Jan, would love to try it but whether I could understand what to do is another thing!
Little bit of false modesty there girls perhaps...? I can honestly say that there really is nothing to this computing thing, because after 20 odd years using computers I can already switch one on and switch one off, and it's only the bit in between that still flummoxes me...
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2012, 10:49 PM

yes, just plain cards, a pencil to draw with,
paste pen to outline the drawing and then,
the best bit.........lots of glitter.

But have not done any xmas cards, as I dont do xmas.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2012, 10:58 PM

Ok Barry, you have me convinced...I'll look into it next month.
And if you can use your own photo's, I have some snowy pictures of my garden and I can add glitter too, so I'll have the best of both worlds
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 12:47 PM

Card making is something that my better half is well into. Since she has been making them for a number of years now, they look really good. I get the lesser task of creating the middles for the ones that need them.

A program called Xara Photo & Graphics Designer is used for this. Very accurate when it comes to positioning and definite print sizes. Here are some cards that we took a photo of a few years ago. The designs are quite old now and the cards have progressed quite a bit since then:

Some middles (the guidelines have to be removed):

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 10:04 PM

They are magnificent Mart, great work indeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top