Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 05:42 PM

See All Hear All

It was Friday, Fish and chip day, the only ready meals we ever ate as it was all freshly cooked
It was Half Term so no more School Dinners for six weeks,
I was seven years old and in those days when it was safe to send small children to the Shops in the Street
There was always one Fish and Chip shop in every street, the very first ‘Take Away’
I went in and stood behind the queue with my basket and pudding basin and had to get three Fish and Chips and Mushy Peas and ask Mr Fish to put Salt and Vinegar on as well.

I was fascinated by people’s conversation and tried to remember what was said so that I could tell Auntie Sheila as she had told me to ask about any words I did not understand
She was not really related, but Mother’s best friend, so I Called her Auntie and she was helping me with my reading. I liked it best when she raised her eyes to Heaven after hearing my question.
She was married to Uncle Jack, who I refused to kiss. “Mum said I haven’t got to kiss any men till I get married. ‘Quite right, ’ said Auntie
If I repeated what the boys said at school, she got quite cross and said “ You must not say those rude words you’re a Little Lady not a Rough Boy.and a Prince wil not want to marry you if you use language like that” “But I like playing with the boys”, I said I can beat them at running”
“Where does the Prince live” I asked “ Stop filling her head with those ideas, there are now Princes in these parts, ” said Uncle Jack “It is a figure of speech. Are you not my Prince? “Oh! I do love you, ” said he.

In front of me was Mrs Elaine Kershaw and Mrs Teresa Yates Mrs Olive Cryer and Donna all neighbours.
“Hello Ella love, they said” Come to get the Dinner for mum? I just smiled. ..And listened intently
“How do you feel now love are you still in pain? Said Mrs Yates to Mrs Kershaw
“Only when I laugh and I can’t bend down yet “ She replied. Apparently she had had it ‘All taken away’ “How did your Arthur manage without you for ten days when you were in Hospital someone said?
“Probably had chips every day, but he has a nice lunch at works in the canteen”
But I can’t be doing with ‘That there’ any more now not at my age 60!
“What about poor Arthur? He’ll look elsewhere” “Give over he’s bald and got no teeth”
But he has such a nice personality and lots of women like him too. You don’t want to lose him. Do you?” “That reminds me, ” said Elaine “That woman in the Canteen, keeps giving him extra Dumplings” “There you are then” one commented
“Listen! She said “When I fill him full of double Steak Pudding and Apple Pie and Custard. He won’t be able to get up off the chair” How they laughed
I had to remember to ask Auntie what Mrs Kershaw had ‘Taken away’ in Hospital and why she could not do with ’That there’ any more .
It was my turn at the counter.” Hello Gorgeous, the usual love, give me your basket.
“Mum want’s salt and vinegar, please”. “Certainly my darling”, and soon I was off home and could not wait to see Auntie later, with my questions about Mrs Kershaw.

At 5pm Mum said. “ Ella you are going to Aunties for Tea, Take this Cake round. Now ! Think on. Do not talk to strangers or strange men. I was only going three doors away, but Mum needed to know where I was every minute, and as I definitely did not like strange men, talking to them would be out of the question.
I knocked on the door and Aunty called “Come on in Ella”. Uncle Jack was sitting there reading the paper.”Hello Princess, ” he said
“Let’s do our reading first. Did you do your homework? Aunty asked
Yes Aunty, and gave here the cake saying “Mum sent you this cake” Oh, thank you, look Jack ,your favourite. Seed Cake . “Oh Yes lovley with a nice cup of tea, ” he replied
Aunty, I want to know why Mrs Kershaw had ‘ It all taken out’ in the Hospital
I could see Uncle Jack’s belly going up and down behind his newspaper “Get out of that” said Uncle
“Well, ” she said, looking up to heaven, and giving Uncle a funny look
“She had a little lump in her tummy and it hurt her so and the Doctor took it out.
Yes, but why doesn’t she want to ‘Do that there’ any more. Now there was tittering coming from behind Uncle’s paper. “Now Ella have you been eavesdropping? No” They were talking in very loud, and we all heard them.” “I have told you that some things are very personal and you must not repeat them.” said Aunty “But what can’t she do any more” I persisted.
“Well, she can’t clean the house yet as she is not strong enough”, her daughter is helping her.
“But that lady in the canteen gives Mr Kershaw extra dumplings”,I told her . Under his breath Uncle said, .”And that’s not all she gives him”
“Now Ella Aunty said crossly, that’s enough gossip. Get on with your reading and speak correct English”. “Poor lass, said Uncle, plenty of time to do that when she is older”
I though I had better not ask why Bella liked douhgnuts, until another day, as when Bella walked by Mrs Yates said to her friend “Have you seen what she is wearing? Tut! Tut! She’s any body’s for a Doughnut”. “Well said her friend laughing, I would want more than a doughnut”.
Later we all had a lovley Tea and Aunty took me home, reminding me not to listen to gossip.

I did not think I wanted to be lady as there was lots of things I was not allowed to do, like play with the boys and sing songs with them in the play ground.
When I sang my new song to Aunty, she nearly had a fit.
Old Mother Riley had a fat cow
She wanted to milk it, she didn’t know how
She pulled its tail instead of it’s tit.
Old Mother Riley was covered in ….
“How dare you she shouted before I had finished. I have told you not to copy those awful boys”
“We all sing it at school, ” said I. “You are not singing rude words here” said she
I knew then I must never tell her that we all sang “Roll Me Over in the Clover” as well, before Miss came out ringing the bell. Of course we did not know what the song meant, and we only knew up to number four.

Well, I only asked!.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 06:13 PM

Re: See All Hear All

Cracking little story,had me smiling several times, as well as thinking back to my own childhood.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Cracking little story,had me smiling several times, as well as thinking back to my own childhood.
Thank you so much Nom.
Glad you liked it, and it is true as well.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 06:29 PM

My next question, your arty, authory, but can you do a one man band.

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

06-07-2016, 06:55 PM

I can play with a YoYo and throw three balls up in the air.
Sometimes I drop one!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 07:46 PM

That's a brilliant story, Azure, and very funny.

Is there a Part 2?
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 07:55 PM

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 09:51 PM

Although I was one of those naughty boys you wrote about, we seem to have lived in a parallel universe. Life was just the same in a Northern village, cricket in the road (hardly any cars then) using a gate for wickets, hop scotch, 'Tin Can Tommy' and the highlight of the week was a visit to the Fish and Chip shop. Thanks for taking me back to the good times Azure.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

06-07-2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's a brilliant story, Azure, and very funny.

Is there a Part 2?
Yes,JBR and more to follow as well.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

06-07-2016, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Although I was one of those naughty boys you wrote about, we seem to have lived in a parallel universe. Life was just the same in a Northern village, cricket in the road (hardly any cars then) using a gate for wickets, hop scotch, 'Tin Can Tommy' and the highlight of the week was a visit to the Fish and Chip shop. Thanks for taking me back to the good times Azure.
My pleasure Was it you who used to give me rides on the back of your bike?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top