Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Re: Change to combi-boiler?

"A combi set up does not store hot water,"... That is not strictly true. Many combi boilers, mine included, have quite a large thermal store built-in.
The boiler does not heat the domestic hot water directly, but heats a store. When you turn on the hot tap, very hot water from the store is pumped through a heat exchanger, heating the water to the taps (via a thermostatic blending valve). When necessary, the boiler re-heats the store.

This gives a very rapid response to a demand for hot water without the boiler firing up and smoothes out variations in demand for larger properties eg.. with 2 bathrooms.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 12:51 PM

I just had a Worchesssterrrrrr combi boiler fitted and it broke down in the first few days! What! Yep, well not exactly 'broke down' but lost all it's settings. It came with a room thermostat device, and a few other gubbins, with the main boiler losing it's settings after a very scarey electrical storm passed right over the house. The electricity went off and on about 3x in succession which caused the boiler to malfunction. I noticed the water wasn't hot and when I checked the boiler there was a big warning light all lit up. I eventually pressed the reset button and it worked again but the plumber had to be called to redo the timer.

I will say though that the electrical storm that passed over was a real humdinger that I thought for sure had damaged my computer / TV in my main room at least as the socket they were connected to flashed a few times, but on restarting they (and all the other computers / servers) in the house were fine; main reason being they were connected to anti-surge sockets I think.

The good thing to come out of all this was I looked into the running of the boiler (along with an informative chat with the plumber) so I have a pretty good idea how it all works whereas before I didn't have a clue as the whole lot was installed while I was away.

The house is lovely and warm now and I have unlimited, on-demand, hot water which is just wonderful.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 01:24 PM

The MIL won a Worcester Combi Boiler in a competition, her existing boiler wasn't very old, but she had the new on fitted anyway. It appears to be like yours MKJ, it has a Wireless control unit, and has been nothing but trouble. In 18 months, the control unit has had to be replaced three times, talk about making stuff over complicated, the last engineer who came a couple of weeks ago set the control unit and told the MIL not to touch it under any circumstances.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The MIL won a Worcester Combi Boiler in a competition, her existing boiler wasn't very old, but she had the new on fitted anyway. It appears to be like yours MKJ, it has a Wireless control unit, and has been nothing but trouble. In 18 months, the control unit has had to be replaced three times, talk about making stuff over complicated, the last engineer who came a couple of weeks ago set the control unit and told the MIL not to touch it under any circumstances.
Don't like the sound of that . Oh well, will have to wait and see. The guarantee is very long apparently.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 12:21 AM

We've had a Worcester Bosch combi boiler for five or six years, have it serviced regularly and have never had a problem with it. The control unit hasn't been altered from the day the boiler was installed and is working ok.

Plenty of hot water and you only heat what you use.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
mine has a wireless thermostat too which can be a pain if you don't know how to reset it so it can communicate with the boiler. I think mine's overly sensitive or perhaps it's how it's supposed to work because I haven't needed the radiators on until recently and the setting were lost, my boiler is in the rear bedroom so I have to take the control upstairs to reset the boiler!

Never had any trouble with my old one, and they say modern technology is the way forward but imo that's not always the case
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 01:19 PM

I don't have a thermostat and I don't have a combi boiler either.

I'm quite happy to turn the knob up and down when I need to
Just had a new programmer fitted (a digital one) but I really don't think this is an essential bit of kit.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 04:20 PM

well, combi's are supposed to be the best but I much preferred my old one but it was 20 years old! I hate change Rachel, I like what I'm comfortable with any my boiler with exposed pipework scares me at times, if you overdo the pressure increase water spurts out!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 04:30 PM

[QUOTE=Honey;570522f you overdo the pressure increase water spurts out![/QUOTE]

Yikes Honey
We bought this just before the new EU regulations (or something) came in to force, so we opted for another floor-standing one.
Our old one was over 20 years old too.

I still miss our old Candy washing machine
It had a filter thingie on the front and every few weeks I'd take it off and clean out all the debris .... Oooooooh bliss !!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top