Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 03:09 PM

Re: Japanese Knotweed

I haven't seen it in a garden I look after which had it. I cut the stalks, poured neat roundup in the hollow stalk and sealed it with chewing gum.Took a few treatments but haven't seen it for 3 years.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 03:23 PM

nifty technique - gloves on I hope??
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Doesn’t it have a natural predator in Japan that keeps it at bay, some kind of insect or larvae?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 03:46 PM

I don't believe it is not possible to eradicate it, my daughter had it in a new house she had purchased,

when I pointed it out to her she took charge, dug it out, destroyed the roots, then repeated in one month & then again.

IT HAS GONE. PLatrs shouldn't be allowed to topple us.

BTW it was introduced from Japan to Victorian gardeners who loved it until it came to removing it, when they realised what a monster they had released into our gardens
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I don't believe it is not possible to eradicate it, my daughter had it in a new house she had purchased,

when I pointed it out to her she took charge, dug it out, destroyed the roots, then repeated in one month & then again.

BTW it was introduced from Japan to Victorian gardeners who loved it until it came to removing it, when they realised what a monster they had released into our gardens

I don't know if it is possible to get rid of it permanently or not Robert. All I know is what my gardening magazine quoted from Swansea University's findings.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 05:18 PM

I spoke to a guy,outside our old surgery today,only because he was in a Japanese Knotweed van,i asked him,where it was located, he showed me it,it's on the surgery grounds,also a neighbouring house,who he said has done nothing, to eradicate it,hence, spreading onto surgery ground,he
told me it can be eradicated, which is what he will be doing...i dont know
if he is right,but he said ,it can be easily eradicated, ..
i think he meant,what was on the surgery grounds, could be easily eradicated, there wasn't very much of it at all,but in the house adjoining, it looked like a jungle,maybe they dont know they have it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:41 PM

That's interesting Pauline.

There is also an interesting video here to help identify this invasive weed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCqNPPR1W2U
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:48 PM

It's only my experience chums, what do I know anyway.
Daughter is still free of it tho, I checked today
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
No doubt most of us know how dreadful this plant is, and how it can badly effect our properties.
What I didn't know though, was now scientists at Swansea University are now saying it is impossible to eradicate!

They have spent 5 years experimenting with 19 different ways of controlling the plant, and not one of them was successful.

They say it spreads 1ft a week, and the rhizomes are powerful enough to break through tarmac and brick walls.
Homeowners may well be unable to get insurance or even a mortgage if this weed is reported on their property, or even in an adjacent garden!

Nasty stuff ey, but how will the experts deal with it I wonder?
Hello Mups,i have watched the video, you posted,some time back,and quite a few other's, to be honest i was so glad this guy,was there today,as
i was rather worried, that i had it,i was even going to pick some of this
Japanese knotweed, and post a pic of it,but because of all the bad press
that it has had,i was scared to pick it,i have read stories, where it is so
bad,that they have to excavate the land that it is on,i also saw a video,of
a young couples house,where it had got into the foundations, and was
coming into the rooms of their house,absolutely dreadful stuff,if let get
out of hand.
i also think people dont know what it is,like this neighbour, next to the surgery,they have a huge garden,and that knotweed, has definitely taken over,i wonder if the guy went and spoke to them about it,i will keep an eye out,..on her garden,and see what develops.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-05-2018, 08:42 PM

It's only my experience chums, what do I know anyway.
Daughter is still free of it tho, I checked today

That sounds brilliant then Robert.
Extremely lucky girl.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top