Join for free
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 09:41 PM

What's happened to my shed?

Sorry, I haven't a photo...However following the recent hot weather, my shed, which I've had about 10 years, has developed gaps between the tongue/groove in several places, I can only assume that the timber has shrunk, but it's the first time that it's happened. I've had to fix narrow strips of timber on the inside just to cover the gaps. Strange.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 09:49 PM

Re: What's happened to my shed?

If it's a pine timber that'll happen even if it hasn't happened for a number of years. Some of the treated timbers not so and hardwood even less. Is it sealed with something Malc.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 09:55 PM

Hi Kev, yes it gets an annual 'red Cedar' protective coating and it has had a clear waterproof coating a few years ago. This hasn't happened on previous hot spells, so I'm not sure why it's happened this year?
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.

31-05-2018, 10:07 PM

I think this describes the type of shed that I have....Even the floor and the roof is tongue & groove construction.

......Shiplap Tongue & Groove is the next step up. While it still maintains all the great features of standard Shiplap that is such a big help in aiding water run off, it is made even more effective by combining this with tongue and groove construction. Each individual board has a tongue in the top of it and a groove in the bottom, this means that on each panel the individual boards will all slot together to provide extra shelter from the weather as well as extra strength and solidity. For the serious shed owner, there really is no other cladding that should be considered!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 10:23 PM

It's odd though. I can't imagine that this year has been any hotter than within the last ten years.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Hi Kev, yes it gets an annual 'red Cedar' protective coating and it has had a clear waterproof coating a few years ago. This hasn't happened on previous hot spells, so I'm not sure why it's happened this year?

Is the inside also treated? The high humidity with so much rain can cause distortion in the timber. Are the boards bending?
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.

31-05-2018, 10:41 PM

I should ask in the width not the length. When a surface is painted on one side the surface tension on the painted side remains the same but on the unpainted side through humidity changes causing the wood to bend or buckle.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.

01-06-2018, 09:39 PM

Hi Kev, Yes, it's the width that's affected, not the length... The inside of the shed has never been painted.
Thank you for your replies, I think that it's a combination of things, we have had a very hot and dry 3 weeks and it's not used to that!
Regards, Malc.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top