Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Re: Rip Off Britain

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It pre-dates that by quite a few years - all the way back to decimalisation in 1971 when us consumers were conned big time by retailers who 'rounded up' quite considerably.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip-off_Britain

"Rip-off Britain" is an expression used by some to refer to the phenomenon in which some products and services cost significantly more in the United Kingdom than in other countries, especially other member states of the European Union and the United States, than a basic currency conversion would permit. The term was coined by the tabloid press in the late 1990s and sees particular usage in mass media when the pound sterling is strong, as this drives down other states' prices in pounds.

In 1999, the Consumers' Association hired a stand at the British International Motor Show, only revealing on press day its true purpose in doing so—to highlight high British car prices. The organizers of the show, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, decided not to fan the media flames by ejecting the Consumers' Association.

By this point, the phrase had already taken hold in the mass media, and it became a term in frequent use to describe anything that was wrong with Britain. It also proved to be one of the elements leading to a tipping point in the harmonisation of car prices within the EU.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 02:55 PM

I see nobody realised they were being ripped off until the tabloids told them?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I see nobody realised they were being ripped off until the tabloids told them?
IIRC, the term "rip-off" was not in everyday use - it was more commonly street-slang, originally in the 1960's and 1970's, regarding illegal drugs . Tabloid use, in 1999, brought it into common parlance.

Frankly, at that time, before the CA exposure on cars, most people knew nothing about being "ripped off" and paid High Street prices. If they found out they'd paid "over-the-odds" then they might have felt "conned".

Those of us with internet access (and I was connected in 1991) were far more aware of price discrepancies, especially, in my case with regard to DC/DVDs and clothes, which I ordered and imported from the US (no Amazon back then - even when Amazon launched later, it was just a bookstore until 1999).
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2018, 11:19 PM

I am five minutes from Target, ten from Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and Home Depot.

Having read this thread, I am going to shop in bulk, and do a markup of a mere 100% and ship things off to the forum. I'll make a little money, you all will save 25% of what you are paying now, and when I buy my little oceanfront villa, you all can come over regularly for the lavish parties.

Deal?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2018, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am five minutes from Target, ten from Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and Home Depot.

Having read this thread, I am going to shop in bulk, and do a markup of a mere 100% and ship things off to the forum. I'll make a little money, you all will save 25% of what you are paying now, and when I buy my little oceanfront villa, you all can come over regularly for the lavish parties.

Deal?
You'd be joining the Australian Chinese who strip the supermarkets of tins of Australian Baby Formula to send to China for sale at exorbitant prices.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top