Join for free
Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 12:31 AM

Re: Shingles Injection Query.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's a US site and nothing to do with the NHS.
The NHS is irrelevant. It's a site about the vaccine. What's important is that it clearly states that the vaccine only lasts 5yrs.

If a 70yr old takes up the vaccine then when they hit 76 they are vulnerable to Shingles again. What are they supposed to do at that point? Answer, they get another shot.

If you check the facts the uptake isn't that high.
I checked the facts. The take up of the vaccine last year by 70yrs olds was 48.3%. That's a pretty lucrative result. It means about 2.5 million people took the vaccine. At £150 a pop that's a tidy £375 million for the Big Pharma fat cats.

The take up of the vaccine by 78 yrs olds was 49% so about the same profit again.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...2016-2017_.pdf

The fact that people still die from shingles in old age is tragic. There are too many unnecessary deaths and too many people suffering from the long term effects of shingles outbreaks when they are already battling serious illness. Your spin on this particular vaccine is unhelpful and inaccurate.
All deaths are tragic but they are a part of life which is unavoidable. 50 deaths a year out of many millions of people is a tiny tiny percentage. One has to keep perspective and stay objective. There is no "spin" whatsoever on my part, just the hard irrefutable facts.

Shingles is NOT a likely risk for the VAST MAJORITY of people. It just isn't. Only the fraudulent Campaign Of Fear makes people worry about it more than they should.

Only 1% of all 70yr olds will get Shingles. Just 1%.

Like all things where massive profits are involved, it is blown up out of all proportion. Only the weak, vulnerable and uninformed would fall for this nonsense.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 12:49 AM

Let's also not forget that this vaccine IS NOT scientifically tested without bias. The largest study conducted involved just 19,000 people and ALL the studies conducted have been funded by the Big Pharma Manufacturers.

The claims of it's efficacy are therefore somewhat questionable.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 01:02 AM

The link you have posted refers to England only. ONS data estimates there to have been a population of 665k in England in 2017. So how do you come up with 5 million of 70 year olds in England? That would equate to 9% of the total population being 70 that year. The vaccine doesn't cost £150. Not all the 665k would be registered to a GP.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Let's also not forget that this vaccine IS NOT scientifically tested without bias. The largest study conducted involved just 19,000 people and ALL the studies conducted have been funded by the Big Pharma Manufacturers.

The claims of it's efficacy are therefore somewhat questionable.
They have seen reduced cases of shingles in the age group vaccinated. They do research these things.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-08-2018, 01:14 AM

The NHS is irrelevant. It's a site about the vaccine. What's important is that it clearly states that the vaccine only lasts 5yrs.

If a 70yr old takes up the vaccine then when they hit 76 they are vulnerable to Shingles again. What are they supposed to do at that point? Answer, they get another shot.
The protection doesn't just stop at 5 years and there will be some residual protection after that because although vaccines are most efficacious in the early years they don't just switch off at a certain point. So they have the booster at 78 which would last into the early 80s and provide some residual protection after that. That covers most people's lifespan. This is the case with many vaccines. They provide boosters to give you a higher protection level.

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article...2/1872/2572147
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2018, 11:30 AM

ONS data estimates there to have been a population of 665k in England in 2017. So how do you come up with 5 million of 70 year olds in England? .

OMG you can't be serious?!!

The UK population last year was 65 million

Nearly 12 million UK residents were aged 65 years and over in mid-2017, or 18.2% of the population
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-08-2018, 12:49 PM

OMG you can't be serious?!!

The UK population last year was 65 million

Nearly 12 million UK residents were aged 65 years and over in mid-2017, or 18.2% of the population
The facts you posted were for England only. We were discussing 70 year olds.

Your link is from Public Health England which only covers the English borders.

There were 665k of 70 year olds estimated in England and they would not all be eligible for vaccination. Let's say for the sake of argument 48% were vaccinated, that's 319k.

In Wales the figure was 42k, so let's halve it for the number vaccinated.

According to Health Protection Scotland 26k of 70 year olds were vaccinated in 15/16 out of a cohort of 48k.

These are not big numbers. It's a targeted programme and not for all those who are over 65.

Your calculations and representation of data are completely incorrect and misleading.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-08-2018, 12:58 PM

Anyway I don't believe 319k people were vaccinated in England. There are no figures available to support this. The data is % uptake by local authority and you'd need the actual figures to be confident in such a high figure. Perhaps realist you could find a source to the actual numbers vaccinated because only Scotland and Wales have published this data as far as i can see.
cbrown372
Scotland
cbrown372 is female  cbrown372 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:04 PM

Realist you are welcome to my shingles in/around my eye, three months and counting.

I’m happy to tell all my friends to get the vaccine rather than have this pain. You can pontificate all you like with figures but until you have experienced shingles I will ignore your so called percentages. 1% is too many if it’s preventable.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

25-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by cbrown372 ->
Realist you are welcome to my shingles in/around my eye, three months and counting.

I’m happy to tell all my friends to get the vaccine rather than have this pain. You can pontificate all you like with figures but until you have experienced shingles I will ignore your so called percentages. 1% is too many if it’s preventable.
You have my sympathy cbrown but your comments like so many others are emotional annecdotal rhetoric. Not something to base decisions on. The FACTS, are not my facts, they are Government facts. And the percentages are not 1%. As I highlighted earlier, the number of instances of Shingles in the UK each year is about 50,000. With a population of approx 65 million people that means 0.076% of the population of the UK gets Shingles each year.
It's tiny, 7/100ths of a percent.

We don't need to vaccinate millions and millions of people in order to prevent 0.076% of them developing Shingles.

You will do as you wish of course, as will I. I choose to look after my health and immune system rather than inject coctails of crap into my body from Big Pharma products which exist for the purpose of creating multi million dollar profits.

Page 6 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top