Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Novel slant on Atheism.

I have just finished reading a 'Reacher' novel in which he has a number of confrontations with a fanatical preacher from a sect whose emphasis is on Revelations and what they refer to as 'end times'. At one point the preacher says there is no point in arguing with Reacher as he is obviously an Atheist, and it was the response which really struck me. I cannot recall the exact words but it went something like this.

But surely we are all atheists? you do not believe in Thor, or Ra or Zeus or Mars, or indeed any of the ancient Greek, Roman, or Norse gods, nor in any of the Hindu gods or any other gods believed in by people all over the world, indeed there are thousands of gods you do not believe in. The only difference is that I do not believe in one more than you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Re: Novel slant on Atheism.

Not sure what to say to that - except, you either believe or you don't, 'religion' is another thing altogether - and not for me .....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 04:46 PM

This is also from a book, mainly about a man who is kidnapped as a Christian child and becomes a Janissary, a Muslim warrior: -

"Religion brings forth mighty legions of fools, that they may call each other devils and deny the inner nature of things.
There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his messenger Yes, And God sent his only begotten son to die on the cross Yes. I've worshipped at mosque and altar both, because I was told to, and I obeyed but I heard God's Voice in neither, nor felt His Grace. In the end, I heard only the braying of the book burners and the whimper of inextinguishable fear
" stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
I have just finished reading a 'Reacher' novel in which he has a number of confrontations with a fanatical preacher from a sect whose emphasis is on Revelations and what they refer to as 'end times'. At one point the preacher says there is no point in arguing with Reacher as he is obviously an Atheist, and it was the response which really struck me. I cannot recall the exact words but it went something like this.

But surely we are all atheists? you do not believe in Thor, or Ra or Zeus or Mars, or indeed any of the ancient Greek, Roman, or Norse gods, nor in any of the Hindu gods or any other gods believed in by people all over the world, indeed there are thousands of gods you do not believe in. The only difference is that I do not believe in one more than you

Right on DM, me too!!!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 07:47 PM

But surely we are all atheists? you do not believe in Thor, or Ra or Zeus or Mars, or indeed any of the ancient Greek, Roman, or Norse gods, nor in any of the Hindu gods or any other gods believed in by people all over the world, indeed there are thousands of gods you do not believe in. The only difference is that I do not believe in one more than you.

A brilliant response, clever and funny.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 08:14 PM

I like that philosophy! Very well thought out.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 10:25 PM

Interesting concept! Need to give it a bit more thought.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 08:53 AM

you need to recall the defintion of 'atheist' - atheists do not believe in any deities whether they are buddhist; hindu; islam; christianity or whatever - if you are a christian you believe in your own knowledge and relationship with your deity. you may not believe in the Muslim diety - Allah but that does not make you an atheist.

easy to blow holes in that one!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 09:09 AM

Non belief is a religion in itself, and I gladly worship at it's altar. To each his own methinks..
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 09:12 AM

that's your interpretation not the bonifide accepted one - keep methinking!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top