Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Network Rail & Level Crossing deaths

I see that Network Rail is being strongly criticised over Level Crossing Accidents and has now apologised.

The basis for this criticism is, apparently, their 'callous disregard for rail crossing deaths' and I believe that that criticism is warranted, especially as bonuses were still awarded; a rather disgusting spectacle IMHO.

However, trying to find evidence on Level Crossing Deaths has proved to be very difficult and the only facts that I could find were Network Rail's own figures - indicating the 95% were human error.

As far as I can see this includes suicides but, taking that percentage away still indicates to me that human error, meaning disregarding warnings amongst other things, is a major cause of Level crossing deaths.

This morning I watched a news report covering this and all of the footage shown was of members of the public ignoring the warnings, flashing lights etcetera and all involved partial barriers, not those that we have locally which are full barriers that you can only vault over if you are stupid enough to try that!

The reason I mention that is we crossed one today and a young lad fresh out of the pub decided to vault over the full barrier just as the train rumbled through!

Luckily nothing terrible happened but it could have been very serious yet the lad and his mates walked off laughing!

Now I'm not saying Network Rail are angels here - they deserve a bloody good kicking as far as I can see and senior managers should get deductions as far as I'm concerned, not bonuses but isn't this all a little one-sided?
If the public are going to ignore warnings then it's a little biased to blame a company almost totally isn't it? stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 05:56 PM

Re: Network Rail & Level Crossing deaths

I thought rail companies were doing away with 'manned' crossing operators in favour of computerised. Big mistake I feel.
There is not much they can do however with regards to the idiots that want to 'beat the train' .....
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
If the public are going to ignore warnings then it's a little biased to blame a company almost totally isn't it? stevmk2
I agree....it seems that these days it is always someone else's fault.

I am sure we have all seen first hand or on film footage, people doing the most stupid things on level crossings both on foot and in vehicles.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 06:37 PM

I can't understand this....

So you have crossing....red flashing lights....A bell ringing....barriers down.....Does that usually mean there is a train approaching?

So if you ignore the flashing lights and go past/round the barrier into a path of an approaching train.....and then get hit by that train....who's fault is that?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 06:47 PM

The 'idiots' fault ....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 07:02 PM

It's hard to legislate against stupidity and I have no idea why they should apologise for the idiots who take a chance and lose..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
It's hard to legislate against stupidity and I have no idea why they should apologise for the idiots who take a chance and lose..

As an ex-British Rail employee - I have some knowledge of this and some drivers had nervous breakdowns following collisions with individuals. The mess from such collisions also have to be dealt with and again some of the staff delegated to do so also suffered mental breakdowns subsequently. Such jobs are commonly known as 'sack jobs' because that is precisely what it is - picking up body pieces - no-one hit by a train is likely to be whole afterwards.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 07:44 PM

As a pedestrian I would not be happy crossing a line other than on a footbridge even if it meant going out of my way to do so.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 08:03 PM

I saw some video footage of this and one man was so close to the train it took part of the sole of his shoe off. Apparently cars and people are constantly taking chances. Not sure how many are killed but what I could see of it it is a wonder it isn't a lot more; mind you I don't know how many are killed each year?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 10:50 AM

I live just down the line from one of the accidents that was brought into the discussion about the crossing deaths. You have to walk across a railway line and a tram line to get to the other side. A few years ago a Gran and her Grandson aged 7 were killed on the rail track trying to get across. There were no strong lights as it was night time there was a gate you opened to cross. No flashing lights to tell you a train was due. At that point the trains go about 60mph and because you have a road at the other side of all of this you cannot always hear the train coming.
The reason they have apologised is because not only these two victims but all people killed on rail lines were called by Network Rail - tresspassers -
not victims.
Some people are stupid and get killed by jumping over the barrier when its down and lights are flashing, but not all crossings are like that.
A few years ago a young girl of 14 was killed on this same crossing by a tram this time. Net work rail had put a light on since the deaths of the 2 people I mentioned but this girl was coming across the other way whereby you cross the tram line first and then the train line.
Since this happened they have now built a massive walk bridge over both the rail and tram line. I have not had a walk over it yet but it cost a million pound but when I go under it on the tram it looks very steep.
I agree with UJ about the devasting effect it has on the Drivers as the train and tram driver concerned in the two crashes have now finished working as they were so ill after it happened.
I do feel sorry for them as I remember being on a Tube that was stopped underground in London whilst they cleared a body of a suicide victim. I was later sick and I didn't even see it.
There will always be suicides and idiots who take a chance on the lines so we will have to put a question mark on whose fault it is sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top