Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Exploding shower screen

A strange thing happened yesterday evening....

I have a walk in shower in the en-suite. Yesterday evening as usual I walked into the shower, turned it on and just as I started to soap up there was a huge bang and I was literally showered with glass, as the side screen exploded for no apparent reason (see attached photo).

Rosemary my wife was two rooms away and thought a vehicle had crashed into the house, such was the level of noise, but she eventually came to find me thank goodness and managed to pass me some slippers so that I could at least get out without shredding my feet to pieces.

Most of my injuries were very minor cuts thank goodness with only one bad one on my elbow so I guess in a way I was really lucky, but an experience certainly I wouldn't want to repeat!

Sorry the photo isn't very good but you can probably get the idea....

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181129_181025.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	8064  
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Re: Exploding shower screen

Wow! That is scary. Glad you weren't badly hurt Barry. I hope your home insurance covers the damage.
My shower screens are plastic, but I've never heard of a glass one exploding before.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Hi Barry.

Glad to hear you didn't have any more serious injuries, it could have been a lot worse. What a shock though.

I have seen this happen just once. It was a new screen and was just standing against the wall waiting to be fitted but it exploded instead. I would imagine that it was due to some damage around the edge of the screen which was not noticeable. In your case, probably hidden by the rubber seal or could have been inside the frame.

It takes ages to clear up though doesn't it. That glass goes everywhere.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:15 PM

Interesting reading. https://www.thespruce.com/glass-show...itself-3972517

I think I would have done a whoopsie if it had happened to me. Good to hear that you are not badly hurt.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Gosh Barry, how frightening. So glad you were not badly injured.
That could have blinded someone had it gone in their eyes.

I have never heard of that before.
Are the manufactirers responsible, or the house insurance, or what?
Did you install it yourself or a contractor?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Thanks everyone, the screen is four years old and was installed by my plumber so it's a real mystery really. I have organised for a replacement online and it will be delivered next Wednesday but I can fit it myself so not worth a claim on the insurance. All in all it could have been worse, and the upside is that I can now remain unwashed for at least six days...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Very scary Barry makes me glad I have a shower curtain.

It seems you are not alone and there are many instances of this happening if you do a Google search for it.
Thank goodness you were not badly hurt.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:44 PM

Scary, indeed .....
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
and the upside is that I can now remain unwashed for at least six days...
So no change there then?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

30-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
So no change there then?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top