Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 03:33 PM

do you have FOMO ?

FOMO, Fear of missing out.....

Anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website. (this is the meaning).....

Fear of missing out, or FOMO, is "a pervasive apprehension that others might be having rewarding experiences from which one is absent". This social anxiety is characterized by "a desire to stay continually connected with what others are doing.

I can remember the days when we didn't have social media and they were fun days. Now, when I get up in the morning, rather than go out to the coffee shop and meet a friend, I grab my laptop and a cup of coffee and meet up with my friends here on the forum.

I went out with a girlfriend yesterday, we shopped, went out for lunch. had so much fun "talking"...........we turned off social media for the day and what an experience. She didn't even answer he cell, she turned it right off......

Have you ever turned off social media for a day? How was your experience?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 03:57 PM

Re: do you have FOMO ?

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
FOMO, Fear of missing out.....

Anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website. (this is the meaning).....

Fear of missing out, or FOMO, is "a pervasive apprehension that others might be having rewarding experiences from which one is absent". This social anxiety is characterized by "a desire to stay continually connected with what others are doing.

I can remember the days when we didn't have social media and they were fun days. Now, when I get up in the morning, rather than go out to the coffee shop and meet a friend, I grab my laptop and a cup of coffee and meet up with my friends here on the forum.

I went out with a girlfriend yesterday, we shopped, went out for lunch. had so much fun "talking"...........we turned off social media for the day and what an experience. She didn't even answer he cell, she turned it right off......

I didn't post in here except to say good morning and on the music and exercise threads the week before last. I'd just had enough of the forum at that point, so I decided on a week away from it. I also ceased to be available for PMs, which seem more to be for sniping at others behind their backs nowadays and I can't be bothered with that. I am not on any other social media except for OFF now as I'm preferring to detach myself from the internet as much as I can spending what little free time I have busying myself with more important and enjoyable matters.

I'm trying to turn all my negatives into positives and staying away from bickering on the net and in real life at work I've found is making me a happier person once again, like I was before I ever began using the internet. That's not to say I don't enjoy all your company because I do, but when people start to argue all the time or digress from the main thread topic I simply unsubscribe from that thread now.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:26 PM

A bit I suppose, but not enough to spoil my life like some people these days.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:28 PM

Nope.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Luckily, I do not have the full-blown FOMO, just FOMO-OFF, and that's only when I'm working on the Desktop PC, so if I'm working on a Laptop project (at home or elsewhere) or I'm out and about then I wait till later .....

I do not subscribe to Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr or any other social media apps .....
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Definately dont suffer with FOMO Blue lol ...since the rise of social media people seem to be more unhappy than they were to begin with and less connected and more lonely than ever.
Use it to suit you rather than letting it use you...I can tell there are a few with this affliction as it sticks out like a sore thumb!
Im happy to dip in and out as and when I feel like it.
Just picking up on something Floydy said about PMs being used for sniping behind others backs ,its no suprise to me that this is happening .Where you have "private msging" Ive always found there is bitching and gossiping and backbiting behind the scenes.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:29 PM

No. Never.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Just picking up on something Floydy said about PMs being used for sniping behind others backs.
How would anyone know that unless they were part of it .....
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
How would anyone know that unless they were part of it .....
Its a surmise Omah...and did anyone say whos doing it?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Just picking up on something Floydy said about PMs being used for sniping behind others backs ,its no suprise to me that this is happening .Where you have "private msging" Ive always found there is bitching and gossiping and backbiting behind the scenes.
Very true, Aysa.
On the whole people who use the PM facility are genuinely doing so to speak in confidence about a certain matter and the majority do this.
But sometimes they are not as private as we intend them to be. I've been on forums before and had my PM posts copied and pasted into the main forum by lying, devious trolls. And I'm certain that moderators can also see our Personal Messages.

I switch my PMs on and off depending on if a trusted member has something important to say to be. I can't be bothered with extra-curriculur chit chat.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top