Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:35 PM

Re: The fall in the Ģ

I think the problem is if you admit immigration is a problem the racist cries are loud and fast. If we could get past that to be able to talk honestly if might help.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I donīt believe too many people thought about consequences at the time. Many people got carried away thinking backwards instead of forwards. Envisaging years past during their growing up days, not stopping to think it would never be like that again. All the "I remember when" came into play, whether some people want to believe that or not.

We speak to many people here, the greater majority of those who voted out, very quickly wished they hadn't, admitting they hadnīt really thought ahead, and virtually all of them admit to thinking it was all about immigration. Now I realise that some people on this forum will decry that, but it is the truth.

The plain fact is that the world moves on, you either move on with it or get left behind. I am still waiting for a logical answer as to how leaving the EU is going to be better for our children and grandchildren. Will they have the same chances we had? Personally I canīt see it, but I hope Iīm wrong.

They wont anyway Clumsy.
We lived in this rather special age when jobs were plentiful houses affordable and grants paid for further education.
People were poor prior to that and sadly will be poor after us.
We are the generation that had golden opportunities
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 03:15 PM

Hi

My two have voted with their feet and left.

We have the opportunity, if we get this right, to flourish as a country.

I am not one for wanting us to continue as a world power, those days are long gone.

The UK is forecast, even before Brexit, to go be overtaken by the rising economies, we will no longer be the fifth biggest economy, we will be tenth in 10 years time.

I am quite relaxed about, it is going to happen, we cannot compete on costs

I would much rather be like the Netherlands with a much better standard of living and not chucking money away getting involved in running the world or borrowing money to give away as foreign aid.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 03:23 PM

You get my vote swim !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think the problem is if you admit immigration is a problem the racist cries are loud and fast. If we could get past that to be able to talk honestly if might help.
I personally donīt think people thinking they were voting against immigration is racist Julie. Towns and cities being taken over by immigrants who donīt integrate and have no intention of integrating is a big concern to people who have probably grown up in these areas and who now feel unwelcome and intimidated in their own areas. That is not racism, it is concern and worry. There are areas where you would not even think you were in the UK. Being concerned about this is not racist, at least not in my opinion, it is genuine concern about what is happening to the UK.

I donīt know what the answer is, but leaving Europe is not going to help this particular situation.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-08-2017, 04:03 PM

I personally donīt think people thinking they were voting against immigration is racist Julie. Towns and cities being taken over by immigrants who donīt integrate and have no intention of integrating is a big concern to people who have probably grown up in these areas and who now feel unwelcome and intimidated in their own areas. That is not racism, it is concern and worry. There are areas where you would not even think you were in the UK. Being concerned about this is not racist, at least not in my opinion, it is genuine concern about what is happening to the UK.

I donīt know what the answer is, but leaving Europe is not going to help this particular situation.
I agree but many didn't I still see friends who won't speak to their families because they saw a leave vote as racist !

I think leaving Eu can be the start of many things if the will is there.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I agree but many didn't I still see friends who won't speak to their families because they saw a leave vote as racist !

I think leaving Eu can be the start of many things if the will is there.
Iīm sure it will be the start of many things, Iīm just not sure they will be good things.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Iīm sure it will be the start of many things, Iīm just not sure they will be good things.
They most certainly will not be good things but you will not convince the "pie in the sky" brigade.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 06:12 PM

Well today they announced a fall in net migration from the EU. People are leaving and one factory was saying it's reducing it's output as a result. If this continues we will see less choice, higher prices. They expect this in 2018 rather than this year.

At the moment we are still benefiting from low oil prices. Let's hope for the sake of our economy that that continues. Let's also hope that sterling recovers and they agree a sensible trade deal with europe, because we will end up importing cheap goods from europe if all these people go back and find jobs there.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
They most certainly will not be good things but you will not convince the "pie in the sky" brigade.
Hi

There will be one good thing that comes out of it.

Our debt repayment costs have gone so high they have scuppered Corbyn's plans for a massive increase in borrowing.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top