Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 05:24 AM

First Bush Fire

The statutory bush fire season is still a week away but today an out of control fire near Newcastle got through containment lines and is threatening property. The RFS has issued an emergency warning for Richmond Vale.

Unfortunately conditions are ideal for bush fires today with dry fuel load, high temps - 30°C, Low humidity 10 - 15% and gusty winds about 40kph.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-13/fire-threatens-properties-in-richmond-vale/8940622
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 06:09 AM

Re: First Bush Fire

Terrible, stay safe Bruce.

We moan here about our weather but thankfully we have nothing so scary. It's very green here right now as we had quite a lot of rain the worst consequences of that is flooding but nothing on the scale of what you guys have to face.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Bad news Bruce. I have family in NSW spread between Newcastle and Caves Beach, so hope they are safe.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 09:27 AM

Your Temps go up quickly Bruce Where you are , it was only 4 weeks ago we were talking about the Nasturtiums and it was mid winter..
I hope your bush fires are soon put out ..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 01:36 PM

According to the RFS there are 100 fires burning in NSW 47 are out of control and have jumped containment lines.

Where I am the escarpment hasn't burnt for 40 years but even then I think my only worry is wind blown embers they can travel for kms.

On the bright side temperatures are down tonight but the wind is still gusting however there is absolutely no sign of decent rain for the next week.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2017, 09:39 PM

I lived in Victoria for quite a number of years and we had the horror of grass fires. They move a lot quicker than a forest fire and it wasn't until I moved to the coast to Mallacoota that I really experienced a really big bush fire. A grass fire roars when it comes. A bush fire crackles and thunders. Things you never forget.

Stay safe Bruce. But I know Aussies always prepare well.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2017, 01:40 AM

Those conditions seem like quite a recipe for even more fires, so I hope the weather turns in a way to calm things down. Will they move early go launch the prescribed fires. I have several friends who have flown the C-130s in Colorado and other states out west and they can be very effective, but with those winds and wide open spaces, they have their work cut out for them. Thank you for the picture, it puts it in better perspective. While I know you are in a relatively safe place, do you have an evacuation plan? Thank you for sharing, Bruce, it's both educational and interesting. I wish you well!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
According to the RFS there are 100 fires burning in NSW 47 are out of control and have jumped containment lines.

Where I am the escarpment hasn't burnt for 40 years but even then I think my only worry is wind blown embers they can travel for kms.

On the bright side temperatures are down tonight but the wind is still gusting however there is absolutely no sign of decent rain for the next week.
Whats the news on the fires Bruce have they burnt themselves out ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

17-09-2017, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Whats the news on the fires Bruce have they burnt themselves out ?
All major fires are contained, with the risk at "advice" level. Unless it rains there are always some fires. (The one you don't want to hear is, "It is too late to leave".)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-09-17 13.38.50.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	3999  
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 06:20 AM

Very scary Bruce, I think I would invest in a boat just in case the ocean was the only escape or am I being naive?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top