Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Home made insect spray

This one really works it also makes the home smell great and is safe around pets.

2 Tablespoons washing up liquid.
1/2 cup of vinegar.
10 to 12 drops Peppermint oil.
10 to 12 drops Lemongrass oil.
1 cup water.
Spray bottle.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:39 AM

Re: Home made insect spray

Great! Thanks Doc!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:42 AM

I put something similar on my homemade pizzas. It sure keeps the flies away.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:26 PM

I'm going to Thailand next year doc and think I'll buy that deet stuff as I dare not chance homemade although I'm sure its good . Mossys love me and the lumps stay for days .

Can you smell the vinegar in your home made one ? I will give it a go , where do I buy the lemongrass and peppermint oil from . I went on the canal in Wiltshire this week during the day , boy was I bitten and still scratching after 3 days .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:39 PM

Since moving, we haven't noticed any mozzies but used to get them at our last house. As soon as they were spotted, I would use a couple of those plug in mosquito killers that are used abroad - Jungle formular. They didn't stand a chance.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 05:24 PM

I shall give that recipe a go Doc thanks
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2017, 09:40 PM

I love that Doc. I shall try making that tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2017, 04:21 AM

Interesting! I am all for trying organic options. Living on an estuary, I once had someone come out and spray for mosquitos with a product that was supposedly safe for pets. When I researched the product, I discovered that the insecticide also kills butterflies, moths, and honey bees, so that was a no go. One day, I was going around removing the cobwebs that had formed in the high corners of each room when I realized that the webs held dozens of mosquitos (as we tend to keep the doors open to catch the summer breezes and let the dogs com and go). Since then, the (harmless) spiders and I have developed a symbiotic relationship. I still sweep away the webs quite often, but only when the spiders are away from the web or company is arriving). My mother thinks it's daft, but my dad thinks it's brilliant. I will let you decide

This is grainy but you can see my employee up in the white crown molding, and his catch is in the web below. Mr. Spider is about due for a house cleaning.

CareyBrown
New Member!
United States
CareyBrown is male 

17-02-2018, 06:00 AM

Hey, this idea is really interesting.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2018, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
This one really works it also makes the home smell great and is safe around pets.

2 Tablespoons washing up liquid.
1/2 cup of vinegar.
10 to 12 drops Peppermint oil.
10 to 12 drops Lemongrass oil.
1 cup water.
Spray bottle.
Seriously? Mozzies will love you for it.

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I'm going to Thailand next year doc and think I'll buy that deet stuff as I dare not chance homemade although I'm sure its good . Mossys love me and the lumps stay for days .
You are very wise, it is the only stuff that works for any time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top