Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2017, 03:14 AM

Re: Hurricane Coming to My House: You Are All Invited

I remember reading about the Black Saturday bush fires; they were terrible tragedies. The flip side is that, we, like you, have pyrophytic species like eucalyptus and lodgepole pine trees that must have fires to germinate because their seed casings are so tightly covered with resin. Aside from the obvious fertilzing benefits, large-area fires have been partially successful in knocking back the parasitic beetle blooms like the one that has been devastating Colorado forests.

Growing up (mostly) in California, we were too familar with brushfires and keenly tuned in to their movement and progression. More than once, helicopters would use funnel-shaped scoops to take water from our swimming pool to douse the flames of a nearby mountain fire. Only once did embers catch the roof on fire, but my dad was there and had it out before it took hold.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top