Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 01:35 PM

My first attempt at growing from seed

Last year I bought a yellow Mimulus plant (Monkey flower) for my pond which did really well. It grew to about three feet tall and flowered right though the summer. So I decided to have a go at growing from seed. I saved some seed pods and kept them in the shed until a couple of weeks ago when I planted them into seed trays. I don't have a greenhouse so they were covered and left by the bedroom window where it is light and warm.

This morning I noticed lots of tiny leaves had emerged from the compost and my first thought was that they were weeds. I was expecting shoots in the centre of the compartments but these are sort of spread about, even though I only planted one seed in each. Having looked online, I now think that it has been successful.

As I have said, this is my very first attempt so I will be very happy if they grow to full plants.

What's your opinion? Are these weeds or baby Mimulus?

Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Re: My first attempt at growing from seed

Definitely not weeds, they are grouped to close together. Good luck
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 01:43 PM

they will self seed around the pond,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Definitely not weeds, they are grouped to close together. Good luck
Yes, that's what I thought. It looks promising.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-11-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by doctor ->
they will self seed around the pond,
Oh dear, I could end up with millions of the things.

My pond is part raised and has a liner but I can see that they might seed in the other pots. I will have to keep an eye on them as I don't want too many.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 02:58 PM

Looks promising Dongle. Well done.

Hope you've got a steady hand dividing, and pricking out those seedlings.

Give them plenty of overhead light, else they'll keep leaning towards the window for light.
Is it next spring before you can plant them out?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Sorry but I would think a little bit early.

Think they will die off in Jan.

But good luck.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-11-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Looks promising Dongle. Well done.

Hope you've got a steady hand dividing, and pricking out those seedlings.

Give them plenty of overhead light, else they'll keep leaning towards the window for light.
Is it next spring before you can plant them out?
Do you think I have to separate all those? That's what I can't understand, I planted one seed in the middle but there are so many shoots.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Do you think I have to separate all those? That's what I can't understand, I planted one seed in the middle but there are so many shoots.

I'm beginning to wonder if it one seed you planted, or one seed pod full of tiny seeds?

I am inclined to agree with Galty in that they really needed to be early spring sown though, because they want planting out around May time, with the spring bedding and after frosts.

Have a look at this, see if it's any help.

https://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/mimulus-guide
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

27-11-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'm beginning to wonder if it one seed you planted, or one seed pod full of tiny seeds?

I am inclined to agree with Galty in that they really needed to be early spring sown though, because they want planting out around May time, with the spring bedding and after frosts.

Have a look at this, see if it's any help.

https://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/mimulus-guide
Thanks Mups. that's odd because another site I read said plant them in Winter. I planted a seed from inside a pod which was inside another pod.

Oh well, time will tell. I'm not too bothered but knowing me, it will put me off forever if it doesn't work. The plant in the pond has started sprouting so hopefully it will survive anyway. It does say it is hardy on the label.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top