Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 03:59 AM

Hmrc

Hi

We have all heard about the massive Tax Avoidance by the huge Companies, which costs us £Billions a year.

They come to agreements with them, only reclaiming a fraction of what was due.

They tout this as a victory.

I have posted before about my battle to get my State Pension, which is now being paid.

They were very quick off the mark, within 48 hours I received a Tax Demand for £1200 for tax on the back dated award, the full amount due.

They don't do this to Google,Apple, Amazon or Richard Branson.

I had a mooch around, it transpired that my Injury Pension, which was awarded 30 years ago, is not being Taxed, fair enough, it is Tax Free.

It is Index Linked, however they have been taxing the Index Linked amount, which is wrong.

I am now in a battle with them to get my back tax, thousands of £s.

The most I can hope for is 6 years back tax, but it is like plaiting fog.

You expect the Government to pay your Pensions properly.

I wonder how many others are in the same position as me?

One law for the rich, one law for the rest of us.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 08:02 PM

Re: Hmrc

My friend V , worked in shops for 50 years , the last 20 yrs paid into the company pension . On retirement 2 yrs ago she chose to take a lump sum of £7000 rather than a measly monthly payment . She was taxed on the lump sum and retired on to pension credit and just her state pension . A year on she was contacted by the tax man saying she hadn't been taxed enough on retiring and as she had received her lump sum , final month wage and some holiday pay she owed them another couple of hundred (their mistake ) so she offered £20 per month . Again 3 months ago they told her she owed another £120 she got advice from age UK who put her in touch with someone of knowledge and sadly they did find she did owe this money , again no fault of hers . She now pays another £5 a month to clear this debt . I don't have exact figures in her final retirement money but she had only a few hundred in savings . She has been hounded by the tax man , and been made to pay it all on a monthly payment . The stress she had was awful and she was scared .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2017, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
It is Index Linked, however they have been taxing the Index Linked amount, which is wrong.

Why not just begin legal proceedings. A swift letter from your solicitor to the pensions people should move things along I would think.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You expect the Government to pay your Pensions properly.

I wonder how many others are in the same position as me?

One law for the rich, one law for the rest of us.
It's a bit early for my brain to be tweaking.......the answer lies somewhere in my business law book........or Taxation..... HMRC can investigate only the past six years (Statute of Limitations) but if they reason to believe intent to evade, the SoL does not apply.

Contact a tax accountant and ask for a quote.........OR look for a retired tax inspector to act on your behalf - or at least advise (probably cheaper and better).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 08:59 AM

Please can someone explain to me why they always want the tax in advance ?
Mr M has just done his tax return and now they want another amount against next years tax bill.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 09:02 AM

That's a Payment on Account. It's to stop self employed people having one tax bill...........so they split it in two!!! Almost like PAYE (pay as you earn!).

You only have POA if your tax bill is over £500 (that may be a bit of out of date!!).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Thank you Lindy loo .
My tax bill is over £500 and I just pay it in one go so maybe as you say things have changed.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

20-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Thank you Lindy loo .
My tax bill is over £500 and I just pay it in one go so maybe as you say things have changed.
I was going to take a tax revision course in 2010, but divorce got in the way. The Tax book I usually refer to is for the Finance Act 1996!!! Seriously out of date.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 09:42 AM

Hi

The pension I am having trouble with is an Injury Pension, paid for by my employer at that time, i.e. , the Government.

They pay it to together with another Work Pension, but it is itemised separately.

It is a game of ping pong.

I kept up my Union Subs, time to get them involved.

The Regulations governing the payment of Injury Pensions for Government Employees have changed a number of times since mine was awarded.

It is all quite complicated.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 09:18 PM

HMRC have got rid of loads of people, so I am told. At the moment, they are as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. I have received letters from debt collection agencies, working on behalf of HMRC, regarding CIS payments that are owed to them. They, on the other hand, owe me a lot more and both I and my accountant, have phoned, written and e mailed them.
This has been going on since October 2016 and the cretins still haven't paid up. They have now PROMISED me my money by 31.01.18. If it doesn't arrive, we shall be issuing them a summons for the money, plus expenses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top