Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 03:28 PM

Re: Feed the birds

I have no problem feeding sparrows and robins and that size bird even my neighbour 3 doors up when one or two of his love birds get out of their cages and pop into the garden to feed off the seed or the insects.
But I do not feed pigeons and starlings if I can help it. I make it as hard as possible for them to get at the seed I put out for the little ones.
For years I have argued with my nextdoor neighbour to stop feeding them he had two of those wooden bird stands that he would put seed on and the pigeons would swoop down and takeover stopping the little ones getting food. Then they fly straight up onto my roof and whilst straining to fly up the steep angle they would drop their load on my windows.
Well he passed about November and guess what the house as been empty since then and I am pigeon/starling free. I don't need my windows cleaning every other week.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Not sure about not feeding the wood pigeons. We have a little family and they are very sweet. Our nightmare are the crows and magpies, but they all need feeding.
Strangely in this cold weather over the last week, they have all been very fussy.
I put out berries, oats, sunflower seeds, peanuts, soaked bread, bird seed, apple, rice, and cauliflower.
Out of that lot they took days to eat the sunflower seeds and bird seed, and peanuts . Ate the cauliflower almost immediately, left the berries, apple ,the bread and the oats. Normally they love their porridge oats.

What a feast.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 11:32 PM

The birds here aren't eating the corn or mixed seeds, they scoff the meal worms, but I have run out of those now.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 10:32 AM

Meal worms ! Yes, our local shop had run out last week and I forgot to go back and get some. Snowed in atm so maybe later on or tomorrow. Poor little birdies. Thanks for the reminder, Tiffany.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top