Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 06:03 PM

Re: what is editing and what is adjustment ?

We had a "competition" like this in camera club. Not a success. I can scan a colour slide and save. No manipulation ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 07:08 PM

I'm no photographer so I would have no idea whether an image has been altered or not, and as for changing the file format does that change the image? I've no idea, so I suppose it comes down to the honesty and integrity of the entrant to make those decisions and just post with their conscience...

But I would re-iterate that I believe the competition is more for the amateur happy snapper, and it would seem ridiculous to me that the more serious photographer would even want to enter such a lowbrow contest....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 08:14 PM

Understand what you are sayingBarry, no problems there

. There is a huge difference in Shooting Jpeg and RAW files.

Just to clarify camera phones etc shoot in Jpeg for one reason Jpeg files have less data in them than a RAW file if a camera has that in its menu.

This means that with editing one can extract more out of a photo with a RAW file.

now others may laugh but let them

The way I try and get those not into photography to understand the difference is one should think of it like a sheet of glass = Data. As an analogy

With Jpeg you can see the top layer sheet (Data) only which has colours on it. So one can only do so much alteration on that sheet of glass allows.

With RAW using the sheet of glass analogy

Each colour to make up the picture is on several layers of glass to make the whole picture.

This way RAW files can pick out individual sheets "Data" each with a separate colour on it and alter just that single one. By this method each sheet can be "edited" to get the best from each one and therefore making the picture far better when reassembled.

Don't know if that makes sense. Photographers will poo poo it, but i have not posted this for photographers but to try and help those who don't know what the difference is in very simple terms

Therefore with a RAW file a lot more editing data is available to work with

I know I have been shouted down many times saying this but to my simple mind it helps in understanding

My Camera, like many other ones can shoot in both formats RAW and Jpeg as they have 2 memory cards and any combination is available
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 08:16 PM

Whatever floats your boat Speedy but I still can't raise any interest in the subject I'm afraid....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Whatever floats your boat Speedy but I still can't raise any interest in the subject I'm afraid....
i see in you profile you play chess. I used to while at school and got up to county standard and one year got the under 14 championship of the county.
Then started work so all that went out the window so to speak
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 11:30 AM

Its easy to set your camera to jpeg, take the shot then crop, then join in.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2018, 12:29 PM

Exactly.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2018, 01:17 PM

Below is my own interpretation of the difference between editing and adjustment.

Adjustment is attempting to present a scene as the eye saw it. The camera didn't quite see it the same.

Editing is as shown.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top