Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 07:33 PM

YES: My favourite band. Analysis, thoughts about Yes or/& any derivative

Yes music, along with The Beatles, has shaped my musical direction and had a big aesthetic influence in my life. I would love to hear from anyone who likes Yes, has any stories, whatever. This includes the derivative bands and solo acts.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 08:02 PM

Re: YES: My favourite band. Analysis, thoughts about Yes or/& any derivative

Oh I could talk for hours about Yes, Bobby. Great band.
But I'm gonna have to get back to you later today as I'm babysitting my granddaughter right now.
Have a chat later buddy okay?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 08:20 PM

I like Yes. A great band, and I have quite a few of their albums, two of my favourites being Fragile and Yessongs the live album. The truly gifted and classically trained Rick Wakeman playing clips from his own albums interspersed with synthesized human voices doing the Hallelujah Chorus and then sound effects of the London Blitz is brilliant. I like how the piece then moves directly into `The Roundabout`

I saw them live in 76 or 77 at the Reading Festival and was stood near the front close to Rick's bank of synthesisers and electric pianos. They were one of the first bands to use lasers in light shows and when it started raining heavily, the green beams of the lasers were being scattered by the rain drops and clouds. We all got piss wet through but nobody could give a damn, we were just transfixed by the music and the show. Something I will never forget.

Here's Rick in action from Yessongs, his set being introduced by the haunting vocals of lead singer John Anderson.

Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Oh I could talk for hours about Yes, Bobby. Great band.
But I'm gonna have to get back to you later today as I'm babysitting my granddaughter right now.
Have a chat later buddy okay?
Ya man, you bet. Looking forward to it Floydy!
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

09-03-2018, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I like Yes. A great band, and I have quite a few of their albums, two of my favourites being Fragile and Yessongs the live album. The truly gifted and classically trained Rick Wakeman playing clips from his own albums interspersed with synthesized human voices doing the Hallelujah Chorus and then sound effects of the London Blitz is brilliant. I like how the piece then moves directly into `The Roundabout`

I saw them live in 76 or 77 at the Reading Festival and was stood near the front close to Rick's bank of synthesisers and electric pianos. They were one of the first bands to use lasers in light shows and when it started raining heavily, the green beams of the lasers were being scattered by the rain drops and clouds. We all got piss wet through but nobody could give a damn, we were just transfixed by the music and the show. Something I will never forget.

Here's Rick in action from Yessongs, his set being introduced by the haunting vocals of lead singer John Anderson.

Whoa, dude! Awesome story!

Yes, I cannot say enough about Rick. I love the cathedral organ being run through a fibre optic to the sound studio for Parallels. I saw them about 7 or 8 times. More later. Ty for sharing!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
Ya man, you bet. Looking forward to it Floydy!
Great story from Jem there

Well Bobby, I don't go as far back although I'm only guessing that Jem and yourself are probably around 10 years older than me (forgive me if I'm ageing you both prematurely!).
I got into Yes when I first heard Owner Of A Lonely Heart in 1983, from the 90125 album - although I knew Wondrous Stories from being a radio staple for years beforehand - and decided to explore their music. I was into all sorts of genres around that time, so prog rock was a new one for me.

I hand my first experience of seeing a Yes member at one of the very first live concerts I ever saw which was the band Asia at Wembley Arena on October 28th 1982. I know that because I still have the ticket! Steve Howe of course was the Yes guitarist who was a founding member of that band and having bought their astounding debut album earlier in '82 I just had to see the band live. John Wetton, Geoffrey Downes and the great Carl Palmer made up the four-piece who were a mix of heavy AOR combined with all the ethics al progressive rock. What a band, what an album. I know you are familiar with my current albums thread, Bobby, and without giving too much away you will (eventually) discover that the first Asia album is extremely highly regarded in that list.

The only time I saw Yes as a band was in 2003. I saw them at the so-called 'Liverpool Pops' concert series which had a big-name band on each night throughout July of that year.
I met up with some guys from work and saw the classic band in concert. Unfortunately Rick Wakeman wasn't in the band at that time which was a slight disappointment but they had a terrific fella from Russia called Igor who was perfectly au fait with all Wakeman's keyboard parts. The rest of the band were intact though - the mystical wonder that is Jon Anderson on vocals, Steve the 'genteel history professor' on guitar, drummer Alan White and the very sadly missed Chris Squire on his bass - bringing out a triple-necked version at one point I seem to recall!

Anyway, after being on the proverbial jolly boys outing in Liverpool beforehand supping copious quantities of draught ale, the time it came to the concert we all suitably merry and very tired. I was just about sober enough to enjoy this fantastic gig but my mate sat next to me suddenly fell fast asleep throughout one key song in their repertoire.
Can you guess the song? - yes, it was "Awaken!"
How about that!

Aah those memories.
Great thread, Bobby
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-03-2018, 10:42 PM

Oh by the way, still plenty more Yes and associated acts still to come in my own list Bobby. Stay tuned. Plug plug!
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

09-03-2018, 11:00 PM

Great story from Jem there

Well Bobby, I don't go as far back although I'm only guessing that Jem and yourself are probably around 10 years older than me (forgive me if I'm ageing you both prematurely!).
I got into Yes when I first heard Owner Of A Lonely Heart in 1983, from the 90125 album - although I knew Wondrous Stories from being a radio staple for years beforehand - and decided to explore their music. I was into all sorts of genres around that time, so prog rock was a new one for me.

I hand my first experience of seeing a Yes member at one of the very first live concerts I ever saw which was the band Asia at Wembley Arena on October 28th 1982. I know that because I still have the ticket! Steve Howe of course was the Yes guitarist who was a founding member of that band and having bought their astounding debut album earlier in '82 I just had to see the band live. John Wetton, Geoffrey Downes and the great Carl Palmer made up the four-piece who were a mix of heavy AOR combined with all the ethics al progressive rock. What a band, what an album. I know you are familiar with my current albums thread, Bobby, and without giving too much away you will (eventually) discover that the first Asia album is extremely highly regarded in that list.

The only time I saw Yes as a band was in 2003. I saw them at the so-called 'Liverpool Pops' concert series which had a big-name band on each night throughout July of that year.
I met up with some guys from work and saw the classic band in concert. Unfortunately Rick Wakeman wasn't in the band at that time which was a slight disappointment but they had a terrific fella from Russia called Igor who was perfectly au fait with all Wakeman's keyboard parts. The rest of the band were intact though - the mystical wonder that is Jon Anderson on vocals, Steve the 'genteel history professor' on guitar, drummer Alan White and the very sadly missed Chris Squire on his bass - bringing out a triple-necked version at one point I seem to recall!

Anyway, after being on the proverbial jolly boys outing in Liverpool beforehand supping copious quantities of draught ale, the time it came to the concert we all suitably merry and very tired. I was just about sober enough to enjoy this fantastic gig but my mate sat next to me suddenly fell fast asleep throughout one key song in their repertoire.
Can you guess the song? - yes, it was "Awaken!"
How about that!

Aah those memories.
Great thread, Bobby

Oh, great story! Good video recording of Jon Anderson and that Swedish band with a weird name performing Awaken.

I thought Asia I was a great album.

No problem on the plug.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-03-2018, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
Oh, great story! Good video recording of Jon Anderson and that Swedish band with a weird name performing Awaken.

I thought Asia I was a great album.

No problem on the plug.
Asia 'Alpha' too, great. And even the third had it's moments.

This the vid, Bobby?
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

10-03-2018, 12:28 AM

Asia 'Alpha' too, great. And even the third had it's moments.

This the vid, Bobby?
Ya, that's the one. Great, huh?!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top