Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Re: Escape to the Country

Originally Posted by doctor ->
as o p says,i can never understand why these retired couples want 4 to 6 bedroom houses,,,beats me
When you are retired you are home all the time, therefore you need more space. To get more space downstairs, you need more bedrooms upstairs. You also need bedrooms for visiting family and friends. Just because you’re retired doesn’t mean life stops. And an ensuite is a must in my opinion - older people, need the loo far more during the night.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I watch 'Escape to the country ' sometimes and cant understand why so many 'mature' older people want to get larger , often remote properties,.Surely as we get older we need less work, not something with more cleaning, upkeeping etc. they often choose remote areas, with no neighbours,what happens if they become ill and need help?
Our previous property was an 1610 farmhouse in a rural area. It needed constant attention and was getting far too much for me to cope with after my husband's illness. We now live in a modern detached house in a semi-rural village. Another plus is that it has mains drains and gas laid on.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:47 AM

Love ensuites .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 09:57 AM

So do I, when we moved to this property I bagged the bedroom with the en suite.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:27 PM

It's true that many buy the bigger houses expecting their grandchildren to stay but in reality, it only happens until they get to a certain age when they prefer to be with their friends.

We could have bought a bigger house out of town but decided on a smaller one in the middle of things.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

20-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's true that many buy the bigger houses expecting their grandchildren to stay but in reality, it only happens until they get to a certain age when they prefer to be with their friends.

We could have bought a bigger house out of town but decided on a smaller one in the middle of things.
Our present home has as many rooms as our previous property, we like plenty of space.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:38 PM

It does seem painfully ridiculous that many of those searching are looking for properties with 'potential', 'character' and with vaulted ' beamed ceilings'. Land for growing sheep, granny annexe for the 90yr old mother- in- law, and 5 beds for all the family to come and stay but once a year at Christmas !
What a joke, as they have just retired and are beginning to need help getting those creaking joints up an down those ladders ,to find where cobwebs mysteriously breed !

What annoys me even more are those who buy a property to impress their friends with more than enough room to throw an Elizabethan banquet.
As is quite often the case, although under budget, the utility window faces towards the East and not quite what they were looking for.

The programme is always a pleasure to watch though, as it does give an insight to some lovely places and homes .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
It does seem painfully ridiculous that many of those searching are looking for properties with 'potential', character with high beamed ceilings, land for growing sheep, granny annexe for the 90yr old mother- in- law, and 5 beds for all the family to come and stay but once a year at Christmas !
What a joke, as they have just retired and are beginning to need help getting those creaking joints up an down those ladders ,to find where cobwebs mysteriously breed !

What annoys me even more are those who buy a property to impress their friends with more than enough room to throw an Elizabethan banquet.

The programme is always a pleasure to watch though, as it does give an insight to some lovely places and homes .
Yes, it makes me laugh that they often choose a house because they can get ten people around the table at Christmas. what about the other 364 days?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, it makes me laugh that they often choose a house because they can get ten people around the table at Christmas. what about the other 364 days?
Thats so true LD , I had viewers to my Bungalow who viewed it twice , out came the Tape measure to measure my lounge to see if she could fit her table for 8 , now it was just the two of them and they wanted this for Christmas Dinner ,
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2018, 12:48 PM

I agree why get a larger property for just two,they always seem to want bigger kitchens too.
LOL

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top