Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:50 PM

Re: Hospice Care

Have you been allocated a Macmillan nurse Ffosse? They are wonderful and will help with many problems you may encounter. They filled in all the forms and got me a Blue badge very quickly, I didn’t even know I was entitled!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Sorry to here about your situation Ffosse but be comforted by the fact that hospices by and large are one of the best places to face your final days.

Our local Kirkwood Hospice is a fantastic place, such a feeling of peace and tranquillity and staff that can't do enough for the people in their care. My son-in-law, who died four years ago on Tuesday, spent his final two weeks in the hospice. They washed and fed him, allowed him drinks of beer when he wanted some and generally made his last days comfortable. This is in contrast to my wife who was put in a side ward at the local hospital and basically forgotten about until she died.
I live near there. It does have a tremendous reputation. I'm sorry to hear about your wifes final days
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 08:54 PM

A reputation well deserved LQ, I always give to their charity fund raisers and sponsor two of my daughters when they go on their annual midnight walk around the district.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:01 PM

I don't know if you are aware, Ffosse but a lot of hospice care takes place in your own home. They provide a service second to none which is tailored to each invididual's needs. I have copied some information about the Hospice service from an NHS website, but please discuss it in further detail with your GP and if he would like to to refer you, please take advantage of it and what is available in your area.

My sister used to work in a hospice and I know several people who work there. I have also known several people over the years who have used the service and, without exception, they have all spoken positively about their experience.

"Hospice care
The aim of hospice care is to improve the lives of people who have an incurable illness.
Hospices provide care for people from the point at which their illness is diagnosed as terminal, to the end of their life, however long that may be. That doesn't mean hospice care needs to be continuous. People sometimes like to take a break from hospice care if their condition has become stable and they are feeling well.
Hospice care places a high value on dignity, respect, and the wishes of the person who is ill, and aims to look after all their needs.
Hospice care provides for medical, emotional, social, practical, psychological, and spiritual needs, plus the needs of the person’s family and carers. Looking after all these aspects is often referred to as holistic care.
Care also extends to those people who are close to the patient, and into the bereavement period after the patient has died.
Where is hospice care provided?
Most hospice care is provided in your own home, but it can also be provided in a care home, as an in-patient at the hospice itself, or as a day patient visiting the hospice. Hospice care is a style of care, rather than something that takes place in a specific building.
Hospice teams include doctors, nurses, social workers, therapists, counsellors, and trained volunteers.
Hospices aim to feel more like a home than hospitals do. They can provide individual care more suited to the person who is approaching the end of life, in a gentler and calmer atmosphere than a hospital.
What does hospice care cover?
Hospices vary, but your local hospice will offer medical and nursing care, including controlling pain and other symptoms. It may also offer:
physiotherapy
occupational therapy
complementary therapies, such as massage
rehabilitation (helping you build up your health and strength, such as through exercise)
respite care (giving your carers a break from caring for a while)
information about financial and other practical issues
bereavement care
spiritual and psychological help
Most hospices will be happy to talk to you about what they can offer or show you around their facilities if you are considering hospice care. The staff can discuss any issues with you and answer questions.
When does hospice care start?
Some people think that you only have hospice care when you are dying, but this is not true. A hospice palliative care team might help control symptoms such as pain or breathlessness early on in your illness, with you staying at the hospice for a few days before going home again.
Or you might go into the hospice so that your family or carers can have a break from looking after you for a short while. This is called respite care.
Some people have a number of periods of hospice care, depending on their condition and their wishes.
Hospice care is free of charge. You can contact a hospice directly yourself, but the team will usually also ask for a referral from your doctor or nurse. Hospice places are limited, but you can contact your local hospice to see what is available.
Hospices are funded through a combination of NHS funding and public donations.
For an example of what hospice care is like, see life at the Hospice of St Francis.
How can I find a local hospice?
To find a local hospice:
you or your carer can ask your GP or district nurse
you can use the end of life care and hospices services search
you can contact Hospice UK
you can use the Find me help service on the Dying Matters website
Healthtalk.org has videos and written interviews of people talking about their experiences of hospice in-patient care and hospice day care.
Read more about what you can expect from end of life care."
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:01 PM

Ffosse - I'm so sorry that you have incurable cancer.

We have an excellent Hospice here which does it's best to help people. I understand that they can also take patients for one day every month - they go to the day ward and are treated to pedicures, manicures and bubble-baths! They can also take patients for a few days to give their partners at home some respite. But it also allows the patient to see the hospice and meet some of the excellent staff.
I'm sure your Hospice would be open to you making a visit ....................then you could make enquiries about day visits.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 09:24 PM

Ffosse my partner Doreen went into a Hospice when she was told her cancer was terminal. The staff were absolutely brilliant and they even made sure i was looked after as well. Have no fear you will certainly be well taken care off
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Its good to plan now, hopefully Its a way off yet I only have good experiences of hospices your doctor seems to be giving you good advice...go with it
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
It was actually my GP who brought this up with me.

At some point I may have to go into a hospice for long-term care as my cancer is incurable.

Does anyone have experience of such places? Perhaps you have had a relative who was in one.

It's depressing just thinking about it but there are a few near me with excellent reviews.
One of my daughters is a volunteer at a hospice, where they endeavour to make the residents stay as comfortable and pleasant as is possible.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top