Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 07:32 AM

Re: Have You Ever Found Anything Interesting Buried In Your Garden?

I once dug up an old piece of a clay pipe and a very old milk bottle with really thick glass.

In our next house my wife was amazed while digging in the flower bed and found the broken shards of a small white and blue pot which was identical to a small pot that she had treasured in her collection on the window ledge.

I had buried it a few days before after accidentally breaking it and not wanting to tell her. I didnt just want to bin it as i just knew she would see it so i hid it in the flower bed. Shes never let me forget this.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I once dug up an old piece of a clay pipe and a very old milk bottle with really thick glass.

In our next house my wife was amazed while digging in the flower bed and found the broken shards of a small white and blue pot which was identical to a small pot that she had treasured in her collection on the window ledge.

I had buried it a few days before after accidentally breaking it and not wanting to tell her. I didnt just want to bin it as i just knew she would see it so i hid it in the flower bed. Shes never let me forget this.
Perhaps this is why she now wants to put you in an old people homes......Revenge
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 08:22 AM

At our previous property we found quite a lot of things of interest, when gardening.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 08:26 AM

Never, I don't "Dig" holes man.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 08:47 AM

While digging out a new shrub bed during that hot summer in the 70's, I found shards of grey pottery. As more and more appeared, I asked the curator of Guildford Museum if he would inspect. He said it was the remains of a pottery oven and breakages and it was medieval in origin. Similar ovens were found at the school grounds, Farnborough Hill.

It turned out that clays were mined around the Hog's Back twixt Farnham and Guildford, then transported and sold to potters in the Farnborough area Periodically, wagons would take the finished pots, bowls and jugs up the A30 to London for sale.

I still have a bag full of shards here, and Farnborough Hill school have a range of pottery on display.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 10:02 AM

I once dug up a small pot that got broke as I was digging. It had ashes in it. I don’t know who’s or what they were. Proberly the remains of a pet.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 03:48 PM

In our old House we had a rockery in the garden and couldn't understand where nothing grew there, so we dug it over and found bits of a Car Engine underneath the earth.

Where we are now, we found a few really old glass bottles, like the Lemonade bottle, perfume bottle and a couple of Ink wells and also just the head of a Porcelain doll.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 03:49 PM

I have found several old coins. My husband found a bone from a spine, which could have been human.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 07:25 PM

I found several cast iron cooking pots, with long handles and a flat iron buried in our garden. I gave them to the scrap metal man, much to my then husband’s anoyance.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 09:09 PM

I had a customer who owned a property in the middle of the historic town of Chester. When they wanted to build an extension onto the property they had to pay for an archaeological dig first.
If I remember rightly they found the remains of a very old campfire ringed by stones which still bore marks from the heat from the fire. Because they were not of massive historical importance they were taken home by one of the employees who put them in his garden.

Wouldnt it be fantastic to find some real historical treasure though.
I used to like that BBC tv comedy series about the metal dectector enthusiasts, The Dectectorists. It was a very gentle comedy but very funny.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top