Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 03:35 PM

Pocket Money

Hi

how soon did you give them Pocket Money?

Did they have to earn it?

My two did, clean their rooms before they got a penny.

A valuable lesson in life.

I must admit I am much more relaxed with the pretendies.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 03:39 PM

Re: Pocket Money

I can't remember exactly when we gave our children pocket money, no doubt as soon as they could cope with it. On the first of the year our eldest daughter used to negotiate the pocket money rates for the coming year for herself and her sisters.
oldfool
london
oldfool is male  oldfool has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 03:56 PM

things have changed so much now. children round here have 300 400 pound phones, all latest clothes on and I don't even no if they get pocket money. I think they just take mums debit card.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 04:09 PM

My brother and I had to earn our pocket money. It was given to us each Saturday morning and only then if the chores had been completed satisfactorily. Also once it was spent - it was spent - no more was forth coming until the following Saturday and no loans were allowed - which taught us to save.

Obviously cellphones and IPads weren't around but, if they had been, we would have had to save up for them ourselves. I remember the brother doing a paper round to save up for a bicycle and I used to embroider things for one of the teachers at school to save up for books.

It taught us to think before spending, not to squander what we had on junk, and we valued things more because we had had to save for them. There was such a sense of achievement when we finally held whatever it was.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 04:13 PM

As a child I was just given pocket money, I don't recall having to earn it.

Same with my Twins.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 04:54 PM

I had to work hard from the age of 8 at the weekends and school hols, helping out with my father's horticultural business, as did my sisters, but we were never given pocket money.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 05:11 PM

All i got was 3 pence old money as I got older it increase to 6 pence old money a week. Saved like mad for weeks to buy a Brownie 127 camera costing £1 and 10 shillings or there abouts. Loved it so much it nearly went to bed with me each night. That must have been in around the early/ mid 1950's time
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 05:15 PM

I can’t remember the age I was when I was first given pocket money but I had to earn it by doing some little job. My children earned their first pocket money by picking up and putting away their toys. Later on other little jobs like sweeping the path, keeping their bedrooms tidy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 06:20 PM

When ah wer a lad, I remember getting a 'Sunday Sixpence' every week

A lad we played out with got, believe it or not, a 'Friday Fruppence'!
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 06:30 PM

My children did not get pocket money, but they both had jobs from the age of 13 (as did I). My daughter worked in a fruit and veg shop after school and on Saturdays. My son did a milk round, starting at 6 a.m. six days week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top