Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Re: Do you take any vitamins or supplements?

Hi Azz, Although I try to keep my body in good shape with plenty of exercise I believe that as it gets older it also gets less efficient at extracting the vitamins and minerals it needs. Also, following a couple of Heart Attacks I take a couple of prescription drugs. (Ramipril and a daily Aspirin) which probably deplete my body of some essential vitamins and Minerals.

It is for this reason that I take a Centram multi-vitamin and mineral supplement for the over fifties. Although I eat plenty of vegetables I don't eat much fruit except an apple religiously every day. I doubt whether the Centram would contain enough individual ingredients to O/D on, and my body would pass through anything it didn't need. Also, to absorb some vitamins you need others to allow the process to happen. For example; An Iron deficiency could be caused by not enough vitamin B, which the body needs to absorb Iron.

I also take Primrose Oil daily, many years ago I visited a dietician for a problem I had and she studied my weekly diet and concluded that I was short of oil, so she recommended that I took primrose oil and I've taken it ever since. I do find a deterioration in my hair and nails if I stop taking it, and it's probably good for my joints too.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:03 PM

I take a multivitamin and an Omega 3 every day.

I take an iron tablet twice a week.

I find the food that's good for me boring on a regular basis and I don't like fruit: - )

A Papa John's has opened close by and I can't wait for the weekend to try one. Is there any better food group than pizza?
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:22 PM

I took fish oil capsules for years and years then my doctor told me they were a waste of money so I stopped 3 months ago and guess what happened? Absolutely nothing.

But they've got me on the glucosamine capsules, don't care if they are a waste of money, I won't stop.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by tootsweet ->
I took fish oil capsules for years and years then my doctor told me they were a waste of money so I stopped 3 months ago and guess what happened? Absolutely nothing.

But they've got me on the glucosamine capsules, don't care if they are a waste of money, I won't stop.
Sometimes it's what doesn't happen Toots, it could be that you are fit and healthy due to the fish oil.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Where are you going to take me then Azz

Well I thought that's what he was working up to as well Twink.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Hi Azz, Although I try to keep my body in good shape with plenty of exercise I believe that as it gets older it also gets less efficient at extracting the vitamins and minerals it needs. Also, following a couple of Heart Attacks I take a couple of prescription drugs. (Ramipril and a daily Aspirin) which probably deplete my body of some essential vitamins and Minerals.

It is for this reason that I take a Centram multi-vitamin and mineral supplement for the over fifties. Although I eat plenty of vegetables I don't eat much fruit except an apple religiously every day. I doubt whether the Centram would contain enough individual ingredients to O/D on, and my body would pass through anything it didn't need. Also, to absorb some vitamins you need others to allow the process to happen. For example; An Iron deficiency could be caused by not enough vitamin B, which the body needs to absorb Iron.

I also take Primrose Oil daily, many years ago I visited a dietician for a problem I had and she studied my weekly diet and concluded that I was short of oil, so she recommended that I took primrose oil and I've taken it ever since. I do find a deterioration in my hair and nails if I stop taking it, and it's probably good for my joints too.
Have you tried fresh vegetable juices? (Has to be home-made fresh because the enzymes will still be active).

Also, Epsom salt baths? I'm sure you know magnesium deficiency is linked to heart disease, and Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate) in a hot bath is great because your skin absorbs magnesium more efficiently than you could orally
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Where are you going to take me then Azz
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I thought that's what he was working up to as well Twink.
I think we should all go on holiday together
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:33 PM

Funny you say that tootsweet, I did stop taking my glucosamine/chondroitin capsules a little while ago as an experiment to see if I felt any different. It took about 3 weeks for my arthritic pains to return. So I stay on it now, because for me, I know it works.
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:47 PM

That makes me feel a whole lot better Mups, thanks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-02-2016, 12:03 AM

That makes me feel a whole lot better Mups, thanks.

Well we're all different Anne, but you could experiment like I did and then you'd be able to see for yourself how it affects you.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top