Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Midsummer's eve

I thought it was tonight, not for the first time. Seems to make sense as surely the summer solstice should be 21st June, but no it's on 24th June. So Friday is midsummer's eve.

Will any maidens be washing their face in the morning dew this year? (before it evaporates!). Apparently you should also make a midsummer fire and throw a herb amulet into it to rid yourself of pain or problems.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 10:57 PM

Re: Midsummer's eve

It'll be Christmas before you know it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought it was tonight, not for the first time. Seems to make sense as surely the summer solstice should be 21st June, but no it's on 24th June. So Friday is midsummer's eve.

Will any maidens be washing their face in the morning dew this year? (before it evaporates!). Apparently you should also make a midsummer fire and throw a herb amulet into it to rid yourself of pain or problems.

I thought it was always the 21st too, Annie.
Hold on a mo . . . . . .

Just checked my calendar and mine says its the summer solstice on Wed. 21st, tomorrow.
Don't think there's gonna be much dew about to wash me face in though.

Here's a bit more info.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/when...-what-10475832
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 07:59 AM

When I was little my sister used to put tiny "jewels" in the Canterbury Bells for me to find on Midsummer's Day, the fairies put them there on Midsummer's Eve, of course!
She also said if you put a tear in a glass of water it would be turned into a pearl! Those fairies were a bit mean making me cry!
I kept up the Canterbury Bell tradition with my girls, but not the tear thing!
It's a shame the Solstice co-incides with Pilton this year, there's no way to get to Glastonbury this year because of the traffic.
I do like to visit the town on the Solstice as everyone is so cheerful and wishing everyone, "Happy Solstice!" it's a lovely atmosphere, a bit magical!

Happy Solstice to you all!
Feel the magic?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Years ago we used to visit this ruined chapel on Midsummer Eve but I have not been there for some years now. http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/page85.html
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Years ago we used to visit this ruined chapel on Midsummer Eve but I have not been there for some years now. http://www.prestonherts.co.uk/page85.html
That's an interesting place Purwell!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Reginald Hine was quite a character around town, wrote several books on local history, unfortunately he jumped in front of a train one day.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

21-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Oh dear!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
It'll be Christmas before you know it!

Aye, and after today the days start getting shorter.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2017, 02:37 PM

A while ago Daughter & I were travelling to Arundel & as we got to Stone Henge it was nearly dawn, so we decided to watch the sunrise through the stones, on arriving we were told by security we couldn't go in because of the Druids, but the kind guard said give me your camera & I'll take a photo for you, trustingly I did & he brought it back a few moments later saying I hope this is OK. I thanked him & we carried on with our journey. This was before digital camera's & my camera wasn't the best. Anyway this is the pic the kind man took for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top