Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Re: What were your staple meals as you were growing up?

Up to age 10..
.. overcooked vegetables stand out in my mind, no wonder children were reluctant to eat them.
Lack of variety with the same meal on the same day each week.

When I left home at 15 to work in kennels, the first place (owned by a multimillionaire business woman) didn't provide us with much food at all.
The weeks supply of basics was put in a cupboard on Mondays and much of it consumed by 4 hungry kennel maids by Wednesday . We supplemented it with food intended for the dogs mostly porridge /fresh fish and the occasional Laughing dog wholemeal biscuit dog biscuit .
Our wages of £1 didn't leave much for spending on food.

The next place was worse, we had a diet of corn flakes and vesta curry.

Onwards and upwards to work for a woman who had attended the Le Cordon Bleu school in Paris and finishing school in Switzerland and the food defiantly took a turn for the better
She even taught me some of her skills which I was able to use later in life to run a coffee shop and an Inn.

Staple diet now = coarse oats, vegetables, fruit, nuts, pulses, olive oil, fish. A little home made bread and small amounts of dairy. No alcohol of late.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:40 AM

STAPLES? Never. I eat healthily.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 09:58 AM

Stew and Dumplings.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 10:02 AM

I was lucky. My Mum worked in a kitchen supplying meals on wheels and was always bringing home anything that was left over so we got a very varied diet.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:34 AM

There were four of us kids in the house when we were growing up, my Dad had TB and was in and out of hospital for many of those years so we had no income other than the TB allowance of about £5 a week.
If I remember correctly the dinners were mainly stews or bangers and mash everyday except Friday when we had chips and beans. We never had ice cream or sweets except at Christmas time. Porridge was for breakfast and supper was a glass of milk and a slice of bread and dripping.
We lived on that for years until my older brother starting working at 14, then I followed him and things began to improve. We were quite satisfied with what we got and even to this day I am not fussy about food, anything the wife cooks I’ll eat, except meat, I’ve never been mad about meat and went off it completely about 10 years ago.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 11:58 AM

It was always Cornflakes for breakfast Mon - Sat and egg, bacon and fried bread as a treat on Sunday.

Dinnertime was usually either stew; sauage, mashed potato and tin of processed peas; lamb's liver onions, mash and peas; egg and chips or corned beef and chips .....sometimes followed by rice or tapioca pudding.

Teatime was usually bread and jam and a slice of homemade cake. Sometimes we had sugar sandwiches

Money was very short in those days.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Meat was usually offal of some sort but my dad did start to breed rabbits which we used to kill for extra meat, loads of spuds, vegetables and stews, and bread with everything.

Come to think of it my diet really hasn't changed that much.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:52 PM

I used to like Heinz beans and sausages and at secondary school, I had marmite sandwiches ... every day

I was a bit of a faddy eater
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:01 PM

We were the first people on our road to get a fridge, so my mum would show off by going to the butchers and buying lots of nice cuts of meat. On Fridays the fish shop had things like plaice, cod and haddock, so most evening meals were meat/fish and two veg. We always had a roast for Sunday lunch, so we had sandwiches and cake in the lounge, watching TV, as a treat at teatime.
Breakfast was always egg and toast on weekdays and lunch was whatever school lunch was that day.
I never liked butter till I was in my late 20's, but I would have a tantrum if my mum put Stork, instead of Blue Band, margarine on my toast!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:21 PM

Hi

Mostly potatoes and beetroot with rabbit.

We kept New Zealand Whites on the garage.

Everything was done together in the pressure cooker, so it was all beetroot coloured.

Dripping on toast was breakfast.

Weekends were rag puddings, both savoury and sweet, with custard.

Mothers custard was legendary, we used to giggle one lump or two.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top