Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Re: Are we heading for Armageddon?

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have sen a lot of green caterpillars they have eaten all the Brussels Sprout plants.
Must be Brexiteers!
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:47 AM

We used to have a robust dawn chorus, which has diminished of late but I put that down to my neighbours cutting down all the trees in their gardens.

Certainly at the back of our properties, ours is the only garden that has any trees left.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:51 AM

I'm surrounded by trees I have the Yorkshire moors beyond them it should be a haven for birds and insects.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm surrounded by trees I have the Yorkshire moors beyond them it should be a haven for birds and insects.
And is it?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually I have noticed very few flying insects this year especially wasps and hardly any bumble bees.

Another very peculiar thing which I have mentioned a couple of times on the Good Morning thread is practically no dawn chorus? Where have the birds gone or why have they stopped singing? Listen out for it, truly where is it ?
During my early morning runs out in the country it's usually alive with the sounds of Blackbirds, Thrushes and Lapwing, this year has been no different Summer. Most of them are packing up and moving on at this time of the year, but some perennials such as Crows, Rooks and Starlings are still cheering me on as I jog past. There is a Robin nesting in a tree at the bottom of the garden and he provides us with some beautiful music at all hours of the day. There also seems to be an abundance of Squirrels just lately frantically collecting and burying food to last them through the winter.
Small flying insects don't like wind, and as a result of the recent storms they have probably gone to ground, but there's no need to worry, they will all return in the spring.....Much to our annoyance....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
During my early morning runs out in the country it's usually alive with the sounds of Blackbirds, Thrushes and Lapwing, this year has been no different Summer. Most of them are packing up and moving on at this time of the year, but some perennials such as Crows, Rooks and Starlings are still cheering me on as I jog past. There is a Robin nesting in a tree at the bottom of the garden and he provides us with some beautiful music at all hours of the day. There also seems to be an abundance of Squirrels just lately frantically collecting and burying food to last them through the winter.
Small flying insects don't like wind, and as a result of the recent storms they have probably gone to ground, but there's no need to worry, they will all return in the spring.....Much to our annoyance....
Maybe they have moved on from here then due to the dozens of Red Kites soaring in the skies above me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 10:47 AM

At home in Surrey I agree was etc are few and far between these days as are most insects, but in the countryside of Sussex my cry of WAAAAASP as I run out of the caravan is quite common. We have also had to buy net tents for food and put fly screens on bedroom windows.

Dawn chorus is raucous too, as is the sheep waking up they make quite a racket.

Something screams in the night too but none of us have been brave enough to go and look.

I do wonder if our obsession with having lovely gardens is at fault as we see people spraying liberally killing even good insects in their search for perfection. Farms too spray rather liberally.
Fogey
Shropshire

27-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

I do wonder if our obsession with having lovely gardens is at fault as we see people spraying liberally killing even good insects in their search for perfection. Farms too spray rather liberally.
Not in this neck of the woods.

Milking the aphids by Jeff Watson, on Flickr

Cricket by Jeff Watson, on Flickr
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 11:07 AM

Early in the season we bought nematodes to eradicate slugs and snails, then realised we had chased away the hedgehog because he couldn't find any food. It all has a consequence.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2017, 11:16 AM

I recall reading somewhere that the honey bees have declined because of the use of genetically engineered foods. According to the article, the bees collect the nectar from the flowering foods, take that back to the hive and then they all die.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top