Join for free
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 09:25 PM

Leg of Lamb

Half price legs of lamb in Tesco this week (though I noticed the normal price in Lidl yesterday is about the same!) ...

Reminded me of the easiest and loveliest recipe. Let me share.

You do need to bone the leg of lamb but it's easy - turn it fat thick side down and with a sharp knife just basically follow the bone round and it comes away easy - aim to end up with a boneless chunk of meat, opened up and fairly flat.

Skim any fat off with a sharp knife - there isn't too much normally.

Put it in a big dish and drizzle some nice olive oil over and pour over about half a bottle of red wine then chuck over lots of garlic - chopped fine (I use a whole bulb), a load of rosemary leaves and a ton of black pepper. Leave it 24 hours and turn once or twice making sure it all gets the marinade everywhere.

After a day or two heat the oven to 180-200 and blast it for 45-60 mins. It can be pink in the middle. The lamb takes on a lovely colour from the wine. Let it rest and carve it end to end - no bones. No waste.

You can even put it on the BBQ for about 45 mins (not in this weather mind you).

All the wine and stuff stays with it and makes a lovely gravy. You can sieve all the bits out but I leave them in.

Always a winner, impressive but dead easy!

ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 10:05 PM

Re: Leg of Lamb

Ooooooooooooooooooooo thanks for that!!
Sounds really yummy!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2017, 10:26 PM

Sounds nice EP and a bit like my 'Poor man's Game'
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...ame#post135383
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 05:15 PM

Mike matey, this is on the front of the recipe pages.

Alternative leg of Lamb:

Once defrosted, place lamb on a large dish or tray. Make Marinade: Add: 1/2Pt fresh orange juice, 3 Tblsp Apricot Jam, 3 Tblsp runny Honey, 2 Tsp dried Rosemary, 5-6 garlic cloves (crushed and chopped). Allow Lamb to soak in marinade for a few hours, basting in the marinade to prevent it drying out.

When ready to cook, remove lamb from marinade and DRY roast for approx 35 - 45 mins. Remove from oven and strain off excess fat. Pour marinade over lamb and return to oven until fully cooked - baste with marinade at frequent intervals throughout cooking.

When cooked, pour marinade into a saucepan, add Bisto powder and (lamb) oxo cube and heat gently on hob until it warms and thickens. Bon Appetite!!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2017, 05:05 PM

Mmmm, that sounds lovely. Only problem is the cooking method.
I'm afraid I'm of the old school when it comes to cooking roasts. It has to be only the slow-cook method for me because it's the way I have done it for years.

Regardless of the joint (between 1kg - 2kg) Lamb, Pork or Beef joint,
and no matter how tough the cut of meat may be renowned for, by doing it this way, I know it is guaranteed to slice like butter and soooo tender.

Preheat Oven to 200C / 400F / Gas 6 / Fan 180.

Bring joint out of fridge for a minimum of one hour to reach room temperature.
brush with oil or dripping, salt, pepper and whatever herbs you wish.
Place in a roasting tin on top of a large onion cut in two halves flat side down so the heat circulates to the bottom as well, (the onions caramelise lovely after cooking) and cook uncovered for exactly 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes are up, Bring out of the oven, turn the oven right down to:

140C / 275F / Gas 1 / Fan 120.

Cover with foil and cook for exactly 4 hours.

After the 4 hours are up, take out of oven, Remove the foil, spoon the juices over the joint turn the oven up to:

160C / 325F / Gas 3/ Fan 140. and cook for one further hour.

Let the joint rest by placing it onto a warm plate and covering it with foil to rest while you roast your tatties and Yorkshire Pud.

In over 40 years I have never gone wrong with this method.

Warning. This is for Medium Roasts. HWMO does not like his meat pink. Mine is just past the pink stage.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top