Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 05:19 PM

Re: UK minimum wage: Steep increases could kickstart workplace automation revolution

Cheat, I'm thinking of number of times I've been stepped on or stabbed in the back so others can get the better job. Cheat by not paying decent wages or not paying tax at rate they should.

I worked once for a company took tax from my wages as it was due, after four years a tax demand arrived here saying I'd not paid my tax. I had to go to court to prove I had ! My boss disappeared abroad.

Another one employed my husband went bust he said so didn't pay his last 6 weeks pay, redundancy pay and holiday due. He was so bust he had to move to Bahamas and live in a majorly large house, we felt very sorry for the poor man.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Re: UK minimum wage: Steep increases could kickstart workplace automation revolution

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Cheat, I'm thinking of number of times I've been stepped on or stabbed in the back so others can get the better job. Cheat by not paying decent wages or not paying tax at rate they should.

I worked once for a company took tax from my wages as it was due, after four years a tax demand arrived here saying I'd not paid my tax. I had to go to court to prove I had ! My boss disappeared abroad.

Another one employed my husband went bust he said so didn't pay his last 6 weeks pay, redundancy pay and holiday due. He was so bust he had to move to Bahamas and live in a majorly large house, we felt very sorry for the poor man.
Not getting the better job isn't illegal, the employer can promote whoever they choose. The other actions are illegal, but they need to be reported and your pay slips shown to the relevant authorities! If you were a member of a Union, they can usually offer help and advice!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Not getting the better job isn't illegal, the employer can promote whoever they choose. The other actions are illegal, but they need to be reported and your pay slips shown to the relevant authorities! If you were a member of a Union, they can usually offer help and advice!
It wasn't about the better job it was the back stabbing to get it. I am always happy for anyone to get a better job I just find removing that knife uncomfortable. Get it on your own merits that's great.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=Lila;1307962]I think one thing that'll happen in hotels is that more will be bed only and you have to go out for breakfast. (I doubt if they've invented robots that can change the beds and clean though.)[/QUOTE

i wonder if a robot can empty a Bed pan?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 07:08 PM

Hi

There will still be low skilled jobs, just not as many of them.

Cut Immigration, it is not Rocket Science, and then train our own for the better paid jobs.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 07:17 PM

The minimum wage is tonally inadequate these days.
Would MP's like to live on the minimum wage with a family?
They should be made to try it for week
It should be £10.00 per hour .

If you have the minimum wage and a modest House on a mortgage ,how can you have any spare money for the upkeep and repairs and replacements especially as thing made these days do not last very long? All employers making high profits should give all employees a tax free dividend as well as the huge hand outs to the Directors .

As for the measly Pension ,it is one of the lowest in Europe

They would rather let greedy people like Sir Shifty Green take £millions tax free dividend out of the Country annually.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->

If you have the minimum wage and a modest House on a mortgage ,how can you have any spare money for the upkeep and repairs and replacements especially as thing made these days do not last very long? All employers making high profits should give all employees a tax free dividend as well as the huge hand outs to the Directors .

They would rather let greedy people like Sir Shifty Green take £millions tax free dividend out of the Country annually.
Hi

We get what we pay for, we have voted to keep Tax and NI down, we are reaping the short sightedness of that now.

We have only ourselves to blame.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Jobs change with automation, less need for unskilled workers, more need for skilled workers.

The world will not end, it will change, as it did when horses were replaced by engines.

We have a huge skills gap here in the UK which we need to address, it is just wrong that we having to import HGV Drivers, hydraulic engineers etc.

We need to train our own in the skills we need, automation will reduce jobs,and we need to address that by severely restricting Immigration.

We have a shortage of Nurses, we now charge them to train and yet we are jetting off to the Philippines to attract nurses here.

Sheer madness.
b.i.b. I agree with you swimfeeders, but for people change is often a very difficult thing to do. IMO changes and adaptations rarely happen without a lot of anguish, denial and recriminations/blame apportioning. One of the most valuable of qualities is to be able to change but it is a frightening process for many and IMO there is no doubt that there are casualties along the way.

Regarding the shortage of nurses (from being in the industry) this has come about because we have not trained enough and there are not always enough candidates of a sufficient quality to train. Also every time there are NHS cuts it is the short/medium term which suffers, i.e. the decision is made to reduce the number of training positions to suit an allocated budget. A few years down the line it is suddenly realised by government that there are not enough nurses (and doctors) trained and they look abroad to fill the gaps. Very short sighted, but that is the way it is.

How many times do people access training for jobs after being told they will be needed, only to find at the end of it there are not the expected jobs/positions to fill. As my OH always tells me - forward planning is essential.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->

A week is not nearly long enough, it needs to be six months at least. Let the pressure of having no money for anything extra really bite. Then, and only then, will they begin to, maybe, understand how it is for most of the people all the time. Let them worry how the next months bills will be paid, not have enough money to fill up their car or give their kids something they are squawking for. No, a week is nowhere near long enough...
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos

11-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
A week is not nearly long enough, it needs to be six months at least. Let the pressure of having no money for anything extra really bite. Then, and only then, will they begin to, maybe, understand how it is for most of the people all the time. Let them worry how the next months bills will be paid, not have enough money to fill up their car or give their kids something they are squawking for. No, a week is nowhere near long enough...
Quite right Roxy.

And they should also wait months for medical treatment as well

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top