Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 02:38 AM

Nana's magic soup

I was inspired by the tesco ad to create a similar soup. It sounded so yummy. I found a recipe online but I made my own version :

2 carrots
2 small potatoes
2 sticks celery
2 small onions
1 large red pepper
fresh rosemary
2 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
chicken stock (pint)
paprika (teaspoon)
a little single cream
2 bay leaves
half a teaspoon of ground cumin

Roughly chop the red pepper and put on a baking sheet drizzled with olive oil. Add some chopped rosemary, chopped garlic, salt and pepper and paprika. Toss a bit to coat in the oil etc. Then put in the oven at gas mark 5 for 15-20 mins

In the meantime peel and chop the veg. Fry the onion until soft then add a teaspoon of paprika and a half teaspoon of cumin. Fry for a few mins then add the potato, celery and carrots. Stir and cook for about five mins on a medium heat.

Make up the chicken stock and add to the pan. Add in the bay leaves and then take the roasted pepper out of the oven and add the peppers to the pan along with the garlic.

Cook for about 20 mins, or until veg is soft. Then remove the bay leaves and whizz in a blender. Serve with a swirl of single cream.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 09:38 AM

Re: Nana's magic soup

Sounds interesting my magic soup cheers them all up makes them feel better is a simple brocolli and Stilton. Boil the brocolli with chopped onion until soft beat it with a whizzer stick or push through a sieve. Add crumbled Stilton. Let some melt and leave some in pieces.

Even my soup hating husband will have a bowl.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 10:25 AM

How much Stilton do you add to that Julie? I've never tried making soup with cheese but it must be very comforting in this weather.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 11:55 AM

I just buy the vegetable packs from sainsburys. One has carrots, onions, celery, potato. And the other is butternut squash. All chopped up in their packs. I add a chicken or vegetable stock pot, 2 garlic cloves, pepper, and salt. When cooked and soft, blend it.
I am off to have some now.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was inspired by the tesco ad to create a similar soup. It sounded so yummy. I found a recipe online but I made my own version :

2 carrots
2 small potatoes
2 sticks celery
2 small onions
1 large red pepper
fresh rosemary
2 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
chicken stock (pint)
paprika (teaspoon)
a little single cream
2 bay leaves
half a teaspoon of ground cumin

Roughly chop the red pepper and put on a baking sheet drizzled with olive oil. Add some chopped rosemary, chopped garlic, salt and pepper and paprika. Toss a bit to coat in the oil etc. Then put in the oven at gas mark 5 for 15-20 mins

In the meantime peel and chop the veg. Fry the onion until soft then add a teaspoon of paprika and a half teaspoon of cumin. Fry for a few mins then add the potato, celery and carrots. Stir and cook for about five mins on a medium heat.

Make up the chicken stock and add to the pan. Add in the bay leaves and then take the roasted pepper out of the oven and add the peppers to the pan along with the garlic.

Cook for about 20 mins, or until veg is soft. Then remove the bay leaves and whizz in a blender. Serve with a swirl of single cream.
Did you make the star on top? I think that is where the magic is.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
How much Stilton do you add to that Julie? I've never tried making soup with cheese but it must be very comforting in this weather.
Annie it's hard to say exactly I'm a bit of a chuck it inner. I take a pack of tesco Stilton and divide in four. So a quarterish of one of them. My husband and Nathan add a bit more as they have theirs later and we all like the slightly gooey unmelted bits which by time they have theirs has all melted.

So to taste I guess is the answer.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Mmmm broccoli and Stilton soup

I was going to make that today as I've a bendy broccoli. Only the Stilton I have here is just so lovely I can't bring myself to throw it in a soup lol

Annie, I just cut a thickish slice and crumble it into the bowl of hot soup.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
I just buy the vegetable packs from sainsburys. One has carrots, onions, celery, potato. And the other is butternut squash. All chopped up in their packs. I add a chicken or vegetable stock pot, 2 garlic cloves, pepper, and salt. When cooked and soft, blend it.
I am off to have some now.
That's a good idea !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-01-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Did you make the star on top? I think that is where the magic is.
Darn it! I knew i missed something!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-01-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Annie it's hard to say exactly I'm a bit of a chuck it inner. I take a pack of tesco Stilton and divide in four. So a quarterish of one of them. My husband and Nathan add a bit more as they have theirs later and we all like the slightly gooey unmelted bits which by time they have theirs has all melted.

So to taste I guess is the answer.
I will have to try that. I'm thinking of making broccoli and cauliflower soup next as have some leftover from the weekend. So will add some cheese and see if it turns out yummy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top