Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 11:30 AM

Re: Diesel scrappage

A month on,how is the car JBR,recomendations?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 05:10 PM

Well we only took delivery of it on Thursday (1st March) as we wanted an '18' number plate; might as well have it completely new.

As expected, it has been horrible weather and, as my wife was flying to Vienna in the early afternoon, we wanted to book in to collect it at 9.00am and, of course, the roads were full of snow. I was becoming worried that we might not make it in time due to traffic holdups, but there was no problem after all.

All went smoothly. I drove it directly to the airport and then back home, so my wife (still in Austria) hasn't had a chance to drive it yet. I've driven it a couple of times since - short journeys only - and I can tell you it is fantastic to drive. Very smooth, responsive (although I've kept it well below 4000 rpm until run in), comfortable and you can appreciate the quality. There are also several 'extras' that I haven't experienced before in either of our old cars. Also, when the middle two cylinders cut out and switch back in, you'd never notice it apart from the light on the dashboard.

The changes in our insurance (two cars to one) mean a welcome refund of about £60 too, and we could cancel the breakdown cover as VW give you 3 years' free cover.

Yes, I'd definitely recommend it. Being a VW, it is a little more expensive than some others, but cheaper than an Audi for basically the same mechanics. I'd certainly go for the 1.5 EVO 130bhp rather than a smaller engine, and also avoid the basic 'S' trim as you get so much more with the 'SE' trim for not much more cost.

Having said all that, though, if we weren't benefiting from a £4000 diesel scrappage payment, we'd have bought nearly new or pre-registered. That would have made it a couple of thousand less, but the scrappage thing more than covered that, so it made sense to buy new just for once.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 08:40 PM

@JBR thankyou.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 06:10 PM

it just goes to show how thick and stupid the government are over exhaust emissions. Why you may ask?
putting 20mph or less speed limits on sections of roads means dropping the gearing down in a car. This in turn means the engine has to run faster in a lower gear causing more emissions in areas where they are trying to cause less .

The more MPG a car does the less emissions it throws out per mile but that is not taken into account

Which is better a 1.6 diesel car doing 50 MPG or a petrol car like the Range Rover doing 18 MPG

This scrappage scheme is there to help the motor manufactures sell more cars, that is all, nothing to do with what comes out of the exhaust

Anyone who is switched on will realise this

Oh and if they want to cut down pollution why not ban all motor racing and car shows?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
it just goes to show how thick and stupid the government are over exhaust emissions. Why you may ask?
putting 20mph or less speed limits on sections of roads means dropping the gearing down in a car. This in turn means the engine has to run faster in a lower gear causing more emissions in areas where they are trying to cause less .

The more MPG a car does the less emissions it throws out per mile but that is not taken into account

Which is better a 1.6 diesel car doing 50 MPG or a petrol car like the Range Rover doing 18 MPG

This scrappage scheme is there to help the motor manufactures sell more cars, that is all, nothing to do with what comes out of the exhaust

Anyone who is switched on will realise this

Oh and if they want to cut down pollution why not ban all motor racing and car shows?
Suits me! I needed a new car anyway, but if they want to give me £4000 I'm not complaining!

Actually, I agree with the bit about them being stupid. They are bureaucrats, after all. Bureaucrats like to tick boxes, and if their EU masters tell them to tick boxes that indicate that one of those nasty diesel cars has been destroyed, they love it all the more.

Of course, they have forgotten about all the diesel HGVs that spew out tons of the stuff, but then there isn't a box for them. Neither is there one for diesel locomotives or busses, so they're all right too.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top