Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Re: Florida - 17 dead, high school shooting

As an aside.....just to show how stupid the authorities treat firearms crime.

A police officer who was called to a domestic was sacked...why? because he didn't shoot the male involved.

When he arrived at the scene he noticed the male had a gun....rather than shoot him he tried to calm the young man by telling him he wasn't there to kill him but help.

Two officers arrived shortly afterwards, drew their weapons and one shot the black male 4 times, killing him instantly.

He was praised for his quick thinking whilst the first officer was sacked.

I believe he won a case brought against his ex-employers and was compensated.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 09:28 AM

Reports like this really worry me, Tpin.

Why was the first officer sacked? He was doing his best to calm a situation without injury to anyone - why is that wrong and a sackable offence?

Why was it necessary to shoot the man FOUR times and actually KILL him?
If one cannot shoot to disable in less than four shots then one should not be allowed anywhere near a gun!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 09:42 AM

How many more massacres will it take before the Americans realise that universal gun ownership only makes matters worse?Thank goodness the UK does not permit people to own guns for personal protection, and our police are not routinely armed.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
This is so sad and dear to my heart as I spent every year for many years, during the winter month of (Jan or February) at Pompano Beach, Florida.

Such a tragedy....

At least 17 people are reportedly dead after a shooter opened fire in a South Florida high school on Wednesday afternoon.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/p...b0774f31d19627
I've said before and will say again.

I'm not in the least bit bothered by this news.

The people of the United States know what the answer is to stop this mindless killing and all they do is talk about what should be done.

Then they allow themselves to be led round by the nose by the NRA who want even more guns to control the shooting outrages they can't currently control.

The tragedy is not the shooting, it's the Americans not doing anything about preventing further shootings.

Let the Americans kill themselves if that is their wont, see if I care.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Reports like this really worry me, Tpin.

Why was the first officer sacked? He was doing his best to calm a situation without injury to anyone - why is that wrong and a sackable offence?

Why was it necessary to shoot the man FOUR times and actually KILL him?
If one cannot shoot to disable in less than four shots then one should not be allowed anywhere near a gun!
He was armed and a dangerous man as long as he's got a firearm in his hand.

Different people interpret the severity/danger presented and act accordingly.

If you fear for your life and that of others then you have to take a life....a wounded man/woman with a firearm still presents a danger.......shooting to wound is harder with no guarantee that it won't kill anyway.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
He was armed and a dangerous man as long as he's got a firearm in his hand.

Different people interpret the severity/danger presented and act accordingly.

If you fear for your life and that of others then you have to take a life....a wounded man/woman with a firearm still presents a danger.......shooting to wound is harder with no guarantee that it won't kill anyway.
Thank you, Tpin, a rational explanation as always.
Those of us who don't handle/use guns don't always appreciate the problems.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 03:07 PM

It transpires now that staff at the school were warned about this character before he was expelled for threatening behaviour towards other students and that he had been banned from carrying rucksacks into the school.

Time for spot checks at school entrances do you think?
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 03:29 PM

Let me know when news of the killers drug habit is mentioned (however briefly).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 03:58 PM

This is so sad but I'm wondering if we should stop comparing, they have a gun culture nothing we will say can stop that. When the response to a shooting is more guns they've really gone down a dark path. So perhaps for their society more guns is right response. Let the teachers carry a fan, train them to protect the kids ?

I can't see them giving up the guns already in society so they have to address this differently to how we would.

Such young people losing their lives it has to be stopped somehow.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2018, 04:07 PM

There will never be an answer to the American gun culture.With strict gun laws there would still be millions of guns available underground.
But I find it strange that they have strict laws to restrict the drinking of alcohol by teenagers,yet the same students can legally aquire a gun collection.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top