Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Re: Steven Lawrence

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sorry Muddy but I've got Lawrence fatigue with it being in the news virtually constantly for twenty odd years, very much like McCann fatigue I guess...
I have to agree Barry. It was a terrible thing to happen obviously but there have been plenty of other murders which are long forgotten by the press and the BBC.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Oh yes Saint Stephen....! NO didn't watch it better things to do.
I found the programme very interesting, mainly because I had other things to do at the time it happened and just listened to the news headlines. It felt like I was being told all the things that were not made clear on TV news and Clive Driscoll did an excellent job of discovering the mistakes.
The group of white boys were told by their barrister to say nothing in court, but you have to ask yourself "Why" if they were innocent.

It doesn't matter what colour the person who was killed was, everybody is entitled to true justice! What really matters is that a gang of white boys deliberately sought out black boys with the intent to hurt them, and one of their fathers found police in the Met that could be financially persuaded to prevent his son being found guilty of murder.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 01:12 PM

So do cases such as Stephens are seminal points on our history, points we see society change for ever. It's slow but change has been happening. That's why they are most important not to be forgotten.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 03:28 PM

What was so important about the Stephen Lawrence case, was that a family and community said enough is enough and demanded answers and refused to be brushed off

No different to the families of the Hillsborough disaster, they also refused to accept what they were told, they kept pushing and some very ugly answers were unearthed

Since Stephens death their has been huge changes within the Met and within society as a whole

I haven't watched all 3 programmes, only the first one so far. I shall catch up with it next week
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Sorry Muddy but I've got Lawrence fatigue with it being in the news virtually constantly for twenty odd years, very much like McCann fatigue I guess...
I'm the same.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
No different to the families of the Hillsborough disaster.........
Yes.....but sorry I have Hillsborough fatique. *Irony*
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 05:30 PM

I didn't watch the programme but did the incident 'change Britain'?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
BBC 1

The terrible face of Racism in the Police.
How could they behave like this?
Was told at the time from people involved in this that they put it down to a drug deal that went wrong.

But if thoses Police had any brains after further investigation the would have relised it was just a racist murder.

Sorry UJ spell checker not working again.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 08:06 PM

The corruption in the Metropoitan Police was uncovered by the Steven Lawrence Inquiry.
I have been watching all the programmes and am absolutely apalled at the perfidy of the police at that time.
Thanks greatly to the work of detective Chris Driscoll who found out and gained the convictions of two of the murderers .
He didn't get much thanks from the rest of the force and it was felt that they were actively impeding the case.
It was found that undercover policemen were spying on the Larewnce family .
Teresa May ordered a public Inquiry into the case .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 08:11 PM

This happened years ago, it is about time the story was put to bed. It is not really now about the killing but about race and all its implications

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top