Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 02:18 AM

Londoners, do you visit Harrods?

I'm watching a Bizarre Foods episode where Andrew Zimmern is visiting Harrods market and omg, the place looks amazing. It's like a palace of different foods and I'd give anything to visit London and go to that market.

Do any of you visit it regularly? Do you love it? Hate it? What's it like? What are your favorite things there? It looks delightful.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 06:57 AM

Re: Londoners, do you visit Harrods?

It's true Harrods is an experience if you are visiting London but it's extremely expensive ridiculously so to be honest ..Good to look though but the Yorkshire in me won't allow many purchases.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 06:59 AM

I went once , the place was so packed with people you couldn't move . I hated it , so materialistic , I did think I'd love it seeing how the other half live , but I couldn't get out quick enough .

Someone told me it's £ 8 for a cup of coffee , I wouldn't waste my money
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 07:32 AM

The last time I looked around Harrods was in 1989, it was amazing then, but could never afford to buy anything for myself.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 08:09 AM

I've looked around Harrods many times but usually just to browse. The first time I went in there I was amazed at the prices but upset that they sold puppies from a long glass run. It was very clean and they were obviously well cared for but I don't approve of the impulse buying of puppies.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Years ago Cavendish House in Cheltenham ranked with Harrods and had a magnificent food hall.
I used to take my son there when he was little, you could ask to tase a sliver of their cheeses/ charcuterie /and various interesting things from the extensive delicatessen counters and confectionary sections.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I'm watching a Bizarre Foods episode where Andrew Zimmern is visiting Harrods market and omg, the place looks amazing. It's like a palace of different foods and I'd give anything to visit London and go to that market.

Do any of you visit it regularly? Do you love it? Hate it? What's it like? What are your favorite things there? It looks delightful.

Not bloody likely!!! - I'm not paying an arm and a leg for produce I can get in my local supermarket at a fraction of the cost. Idiots that go there are only paying for the 'name'.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 08:37 AM

Back in the 1970s I visited Harrods many times after I’d finished my monthly meeting with other department store buyers.

Everyone should visit Harrods at least once in their lifetime, sooner rather than later in these days of disappearing retailers.

Forgive me, but I have a little story concerning my Uncle Vivian & Harrods.

Uncle when well into his 60s was a props manager for Southern Television (as was. closed years ago). He hadn’t retired because quite simply he was the best of his generation.

On his “find” list one week was AN ANTS NEST, for a Children's programme.
Undeterred Uncle Vivian tried all the local pet shops.

I was telling him about my recent visits to Harrods.
“Why you can get anything there,” I said.

“Hmm” he mused.
He rang them as soon as I had gone.
“I’d like an ant’s nest please”

He was asked to hold the line for a few minutes.

Then came the reply.
“We have on offer small, medium or large, delivery this Friday”
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 08:51 AM

London is a rip off city and gives no idea what England is really like. To see the true England avoid London, if it is historical buildings that are of interest there are so many you trip over them. if it is country life and it customs every country town has them.

Even where I live I an within an hour of 3 castles and-4 stately homes or more, even a rare fortified house.

London you can keep it thank you, never want to go there again
You won't see this in London but will near me

or this in a London main street

It is all part of our heritage missed by so many tourists.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2018, 09:51 AM

As an ex Londoner , I can say I've shopped in Harrods

But funnily enough, only when I've had guests visiting and I've become a tourist guide for the day

The food hall is absolutely amazing , it's stunning. The ceilings alone are beautiful, but then go to the fish counter and that display is just out of this world

It is expensive for us mere mortals, it's certainly not for every day food shopping - hell even Princess Diana preferred the Sainsburys up the road for the weekly shopping , but for a treat, it's doable

There is something for everyone at Harrods, depending on who I'm with we might go to one of the coffee shops in there, or we may just buy of the deli counters and go sit in Kensington Gardens and picnic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top