Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Do you read reviews, before you buy things ?

Fake online reviews are being openly traded on the internet, a BBC investigation has found.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43907695

When i'm shopping for anything i always look to see what other people think about products, and i am swayed when making my decision. Now the Bbc are saying these reviews may not be what customers really think.
I think it was gardening stuff i bought off Ebay once, i left a 3* review and the company phoned me to ask 'why'. The guy said that could put off other buyers, and could i change it to 4*. But he didn't offer me any incentive to do so.
So, can we trust these review sites ?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 01:32 PM

Re: Do you read reviews, before you buy things ?

I certainly read a few reviews both good and bad trying to gauge as broad a viewpoint about the product that interests me.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 01:33 PM

We always read WHICH reports before buying expensive items.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 02:06 PM

We always read WHICH reports before buying expensive items.

Ditto.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 02:09 PM

Ditto!

Always read the reviews, good and bad.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Yes, we read reviews, but from several sources Sam.
Always look at Tripadvisor for holidays.
eBay is always looking for 4star, you rate as you see fit.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 02:30 PM

I read reviews from a number of sources. I will only take reviews seriously if they are a mixture of good and bad. If the reviews are 5 star and one star then I will avoid because the five star ones are bound to be fake. If there is a mixture of excellent/good and middling then I will take it more seriously. A lot of sites require a verified purchase, but services such as dentists and doctors, hotels and hairdressers could be anyone. I take glowing reviews with a pinch of salt.

By the way if you use rated people and similar they don't always let you leave a bad review without forcing you to contact the tradesman. So if you're not happy it's not going to be recorded 9 times out of ten.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 02:45 PM

Yes, I always read reviews, both negative and positive and then make a decision. Whenever we are considering going for a meal, for example, I check out the reviews and whether they are from local people. Likewise, I always post a review aftrwards.

The holidays I have had were, in the main, not pre-booked, but done on spec with a check online the day before arriving at the destinations. I have stayed in dozens of places in the States done this way, always successfully.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 02:58 PM

I read trip advisor reviews, usually for the entertainment value more then anything

When making a purchase online with a company I've not used before, I will do a search and read any reviews before I hand over my details.

With purchases well I'm not really bothered about reviews. If I'm buying something then I've made up my mind what I want and someone saying one thing and another saying another, is not going to be helpful

I do review. I used to earn quite a bit of pin money writing legitimate reviews
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 03:10 PM

I also read reviews from a variety of sources and am particularly suspicious of Trip Advisor after a well known grotty village pub stormed to the top of the food ratings (much to the amusement of the locals) .

I often go to the bad reviews first, they can be a good indicator of flaws ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top