Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 11:33 AM

Amateur TV channels

As everyone must have noticed by now, we have a plethora of TV channels available compared to the four or five of several years ago. A good thing?

I think not!

Quality generally has suffered noticeably and advertising time seems to have increased as well.

Personally, I can live with this, but what I find both amusing and sad at the same time is the inexorable increase in amateurism on the part of the people who run what I call the 'amateur channels'.

Take one example: Horror Channel. Recently, although I watch very little of this channel, I have experienced two instances of the 'start record signal' being broadcast after the programmes have started, and another instance of, presumably, no signal sent at all.

Then I noticed last night the wrong programme title being shown: 'Star Trek: The Original Series' when the programme being shown was The Next Generation.

Not earth-shattering things, I know, but it demonstrates how the companies involved buy cheap, out of date programmes and lazily broadcast them with faults simply in order to make a 'fast buck'.

I do believe that if the resources available were channelled into far fewer (perhaps less than a dozen) services, quality would almost certainly improve.

Or is it perhaps related to Tony B Liar's 'dumbing down' policy which is now revealing its consequences in the media. The same could also account for the atrocious spelling in online newspapers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Re: Amateur TV channels

JB I have Freeview and have seen all the channels listed but not looked at any of them. I have enough to watch on 1-4.
My radio gets more use.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 01:19 PM

I dont watch tv in fact I am about to take the one I have got to the tip as its got a big stripe down the screen.
I dont know what to do about my tv licence as I very rarely even watch iPlayer any more. I watch the occasional film or box set on Amazon Prime and listen to iPlayer radio comedy or plays.
Maybe I should cancel the licence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB I have Freeview and have seen all the channels listed but not looked at any of them. I have enough to watch on 1-4.
My radio gets more use.
You're right, of course.

Of the 'amateur channels', the only ones I ever watch are:

BBC4
BBC News
Sky News
Talking Pictures
Horror Channel
Movies for Men
Yesterday

and even then, only for the occasional programme.

I should make clear that I do not regard BBC4, BBC News and Sky News as 'amateur channels', as they seem able to run their services professionally.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-05-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I dont watch tv in fact I am about to take the one I have got to the tip as its got a big stripe down the screen.
I dont know what to do about my tv licence as I very rarely even watch iPlayer any more. I watch the occasional film or box set on Amazon Prime and listen to iPlayer radio comedy or plays.
Maybe I should cancel the licence.
You should certainly cancel your TV licence if you do not watch broadcast programmes.

The more people who do that, the more likely that the biased BBC will be forced to compete with others on a level playing field!
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 01:41 PM

If you access BBC programs online you still need a licence as far as I know.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
If you access BBC programs online you still need a licence as far as I know.
A TV Licence covers you to

watch or record live TV programmes on any channel,
download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...w-you-watch-it

Answer: don't watch or record any live TV channel; don't watch or record BBC programmes on iPlayer, be it live, catch-up or on-demand.
Other non-live programmes are OK!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 02:44 PM

I don't have a TV but my hospital room did. I liked the shopping channels, they really amused me with OTT presenters trying to sell a $10 Chinese watch for £400 as being something of fine English heritage.

I really think that their only customers must be the very stupid or senile.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
As everyone must have noticed by now, we have a plethora of TV channels available compared to the four or five of several years ago. A good thing?

I think not!

Quality generally has suffered noticeably and advertising time seems to have increased as well.

Personally, I can live with this, but what I find both amusing and sad at the same time is the inexorable increase in amateurism on the part of the people who run what I call the 'amateur channels'.

Take one example: Horror Channel. Recently, although I watch very little of this channel, I have experienced two instances of the 'start record signal' being broadcast after the programmes have started, and another instance of, presumably, no signal sent at all.

Then I noticed last night the wrong programme title being shown: 'Star Trek: The Original Series' when the programme being shown was The Next Generation.

Not earth-shattering things, I know, but it demonstrates how the companies involved buy cheap, out of date programmes and lazily broadcast them with faults simply in order to make a 'fast buck'.

I do believe that if the resources available were channelled into far fewer (perhaps less than a dozen) services, quality would almost certainly improve.

Or is it perhaps related to Tony B Liar's 'dumbing down' policy which is now revealing its consequences in the media. The same could also account for the atrocious spelling in online newspapers.
Most modern journalists are lazy and semi-literate.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I think not!

I'm glad they have these channels though because I love to see the programmes of old especially programmes like classic coronation street and land of the giants, come dine with me, friends and other oldies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top