Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:51 PM

Re: Another school shooting, in Texas this time.

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Freedom to bear arms has a cost, obviously student lives are less important than the 2nd Amendment.
So what's the answer?
What would you do?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
So what's the answer?
What would you do?

Try to make it a little harder to purchase guns would be a start.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Well they could stop stocking them at supermarkets for a start. I was shocked to hear on the radio that you can buy them off the shelf at Walmart. If you google the store you can see photos of the aisle displays with the sort of special offer signs you see at a DIY store. There's a really unfortunate photo online where there is a sign saying "own the school year like a hero" just above the gun section.

Just google images for "guns at walmart" and then tell me this is right. I am shocked.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Surfermom totally agree that mental illness is not taken seriously enough and there is inadequate care in just about all parts of the world for many on the periphery where they can just about cope outside an institution. I find it strange that when someone is mentally ill they don't scan the brain to look for physical changes, but instead medicate in a random way. We don't understand or care enough.

I don't know much about mental healthcare in the US. We don't have the best provision in the UK. Research has shown that people who commit violent acts have different brain structure. Brain illness and injury can also lead to personality changes and a reduced ability to control violent impulses. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0127212158.htm

You're right I am just giving my opinion on the US culture I've experienced myself. I haven't been there for 15 years and I'm sure things have changed since the crash. When I was there everything revolved around money. Earning it, spending it, accumulating wealth. It may be just the people I met/knew.

My oldest best friend emigrated to the States when we were 12 and I often wonder what she'd be like had she stayed in the UK. I don't think they have a gun, I've never asked but I cannot imagine it. They are sociable and liked model citizens and their son is just a year older than the killer. They say the killer is a "quiet loner". It often seems it's kids on the outside of the social group who commit these crimes.

Hi, Annie, I am so glad you were able to spend time here and hope you return someday. Reading how you experienced it with fresh eyes is so informative.

I fully agree with you that there are changes in the brain - physical and chemical - that can cause shifts away from accepted normality in thinking and behaving. This can be caused by genetics, experience, and environmental triggers. The problem is that we too often just say violent people are "crazy" or "evil" (whatever that is) and steer clear without addressing the central problem.

You immerse an ill, untreated person in a culture that equivocates guns with masculinity and it's a recipe for disaster.

All the men in my family were in the military, most of the career fighter pilots, none of them own guns, none of them are hunters, and none of them play into the video games, military action games forms of entertainment.

They believe that taken together, all of these feed this never before seen gun craze culture. They all say while hunting to feed your family is one thing, once you are past the age of twelve, if you are posing with photos of a dead animal that you killed, you have some issues. It's necessary, but never cool, to kill.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Hi, Annie, I am so glad you were able to spend time here and hope you return someday. Reading how you experienced it with fresh eyes is so informative.

I fully agree with you that there are changes in the brain - physical and chemical - that can cause shifts away from accepted normality in thinking and behaving. This can be caused by genetics, experience, and environmental triggers. The problem is that we too often just say violent people are "crazy" or "evil" (whatever that is) and steer clear without addressing the central problem.

You immerse an ill, untreated person in a culture that equivocates guns with masculinity and it's a recipe for disaster.

All the men in my family were in the military, most of the career fighter pilots, none of them own guns, none of them are hunters, and none of them play into the video games, military action games forms of entertainment.

They believe that taken together, all of these feed this never before seen gun craze culture. They all say while hunting to feed your family is one thing, once you are past the age of twelve, if you are posing with photos of a dead animal that you killed, you have some issues. It's necessary, but never cool, to kill.
Hi

Now that is by far the best post in this thread.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:59 PM

They just need to make it seem uncool to own a gun. You'd think this doesn't work but the power of persuasion is extremely powerful. I suppose that this is all about money though. There must be a massive industry in gun production in the US.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 10:16 PM

If only all Americans could think like Surfermom and her family.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-05-2018, 10:19 PM

I hope Surfermom goes into politics. I'd love to see her as President. She'd knock Trump off his perch no trouble.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 05:31 AM

Apparently the killer wore a tench coat, every day, to school.... in Texas where the weather is often hot!
We all tend to accept peoples decision to do as they wish, but I wonder if anybody tried to question him on why he wore this coat & whether that questioning of him may have demonstrated any strange ideas?
I know that psychiatrists often find that mentally disturbed patients have strange behavior patterns so, if somebody had asked him and got a strange reply, they may have realized that he needed help.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 06:52 PM

They are not so daft that they take on a less soft defenseless target are they?
If they took on some soldiers or police both who are heavily armed in the States they would be dead before they had time to take so many with them.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top