Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:23 PM

Freezer. Do I really need one.

The fridge I was given last week was just that. A fridge with no freezer. I am not complaining. Its been thoroughly cleaned and tested and I cleaned it myself just to be sure.

I was thinking, do I really need a freezer. Ok I cannot make ice cubes, but I am being really good and eating healthy food I make from ingredients rather than buying ready made packet stuff or frozen ready meals.

I think the only way its going to affect me is that I wont be able to freeze food I make larger quantities of in the slow cooker, and the other day I did break my rules a bit by buying a packet of Sainsburys veggie burgers which are basic vegetables pushed together into a burger shape and coated in breadcrumbs. I ended up eating all four over the two days in case they went off as they are supposed to be kept frozen.
Do you think its possible to live without a freezer these days?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Re: Freezer. Do I really need one.

We have a fridge/freezer but there's never much in the freezer compartment tbh. Some Yorkshire puddings a few fish fingers and two ice lollies. Personally I reckon if you intend to eat healthily, you can do without one.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Hi MC I couldn't manage without a freezer living miles away from the nearest shop . I also pick and freeze a lot of fruit to see me through the winter.

If you have shops in walking distance you may be able to manage without a freezer.
You can buy tiny freezers but they are very expensive. I purchased one for my son when he was at University.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 02:31 PM

I can't do without my Freezer, as I make batches of things and freeze them.

It all depends on whether you have a supermarket very near to you, so that you can buy fresh food everyday, if so, then no you don't need a freezer.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 03:29 PM

I use my freezer more then the fridge tbh

Not for ready made meals, but for the food I cook, I always put the extra in the freezer for another day plus I couldn’t cope without frozen peas, I love them

If you have room I’d say go for it if you batch cook. You can pick up 2nd hand quite cheap
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:20 PM

I believe that anyone who lives alone needs a freezer! Would be lost without mine as I do batch cook meals/soups etc., That way if anyone arrives unexpectedly there is always home cooked food available - or - if I am tired/unwell I can still eat good food without the hassle of having to prepare it.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 04:31 PM

I have an American style fridge and an American style freezer, I couldn't do without either. I do our grocery shopping once a week so they are both stocked up.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 05:08 PM

I would not like to have to do without a freezer. A freezer allows me to take advantage of special offers and bulk buying. If I am unable to go shopping I always know there is something in the freezer to use.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 06:16 PM

If anything, you need a freezer for one of life's important necessities

ICECREAM!!!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2018, 08:34 PM

I can't speak for you Monday's Child,...but i was without a freezer for 2 year's, ...yes you can buy fresh as i did, but i threw so much away,whereas now,any left overs,i freeze,i cant stand waste,and i can't afford to waste.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top