Join for free
Page 12 of 58 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 11:11 AM

Re: Seeing the International Space Station

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose if we lived somewhere with a better climate, we would just get bored with seeing it all the time.
True...but still annoying
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
True...but still annoying
It is. I have lost count of the number of times I have sat in the garden late at night or in the early hours hoping to see a meteor shower only to find that it's too cloudy.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 11:38 AM

It is. I have lost count of the number of times I have sat in the garden late at night or in the early hours hoping to see a meteor shower only to find that it's too cloudy.
Colin (DWebb) has been telling me about Iridium Flares. It seems to involve a lot of sitting around and staring at a particular place in the sky at a certain time. Not sure I have the patience for that!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 10:43 PM

Just seen it again tonight. Lovely and clear here in the SW.

I know this sounds silly but what I find fascinating is this; If they say it will be there at 10:35, you look up at 10:35 and there it is.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 10:48 PM

Dongles, I still haven't seen it.
Can I pop down and watch with you?

I'm not sure I'm looking in the right places. I understand the SW or SE part, but IU don't really understand the 'o' degrees angles bits?

Can you explain more simply please?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 10:48 PM

Had a good view of it going over our house just now
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 10:52 PM

I know this sounds silly but what I find fascinating is this; If they say it will be there at 10:35, you look up at 10:35 and there it is.
Originally Posted by Mags ->
Had a good view of it going over our house just now
I am glad you both got a good view, no chance here in the cloudy North
DWebb
North East, UK
DWebb is male  DWebb has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2018, 10:56 PM

I do get what you mean by that! The exact accuracy of it all just wish my buses were as predictable!

Now I need to see how you see these Iridium flares, I have seen them in the past and basically you need to look at a small patch of sky where they are predicted to occur at a specific time and you see a very intense bright flash. The complication is when they occur is accurately tied to your exact location...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-05-2018, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Dongles, I still haven't seen it.
Can I pop down and watch with you?

I'm not sure I'm looking in the right places. I understand the SW or SE part, but IU don't really understand the 'o' degrees angles bits?

Can you explain more simply please?
The degrees vary. If it's low, say 25 deg, it would be nearer the horizon but if it's high like tonight 87 deg, then it's more or less straight up above you. When it's high like that it's difficult to miss tbh. Is it cloudy there?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-05-2018, 11:04 PM

Mups

Tomorrow at 11:20 it is at 87 deg so face South, look straight up and then tilt your head to the right. If the moon is visible, you should be able to see it pass in front. It should go straight over your head.

Page 12 of 58 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top