Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Re: Are You As Clever As You Think You Are?

I would have found another recipe that didn't use 'cups' .
I hate recipes with cups they are so inaccurate ...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:33 PM

One cup is half a pint is 300ml
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Here are some, How Clever Are You? questions l found..

What percentage of the world's water is contained in a cow?

Why can't you light a candle in a spacecraft?

What happens if you drop an ant?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:36 PM

Lol...well I don't know the answer to any of those questions Kid...so I'm obviously dumber than dumb...but I won't let it get Me down
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I would have found another recipe that didn't use 'cups' .
I hate recipes with cups they are so inaccurate ...
Meg, It was the recipe stated in the instructions for the ice cream maker! I have never used it before as you have to put the bowl with it, in the freezer overnight.
I usually use my gelato ice cream maker with its own freezer and the recipes are normal in that.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:41 PM

Measuring Cups are so American:

A Measuring Cup is a demarcated vessel used to measure liquid ingredients. In the UK, they are delineated in pints and ounces, and in metric. In North America, they are delineated in cups and ounces, and in metric. In the rest of the world, they are delineated in metric.

North America confuses the rest of the world by also using Measuring Cups to measure dry ingredients in addition to liquid ingredients.

One of the difficulties in measuring with cups is that "cups" isn't a term of commerce. Items that are measured in North American kitchens by volume using cups, such as sugar, butter and flour, are actually sold by weight. A pound of flour is always a pound of flour, whether sifted or not, but this is not so for a cup of flour. If you take a cup of flour and sift it and put it back in the cup, you will now have more than a cup of flour because the added air in the flour will have increased the volume of it. Another example is a cup of walnuts: whole, halved, chopped, and ground will all yield a different weight of walnuts.

In an attempt to control this possible disparity, recipe writers will often attempt to describe precisely how they want you to put the ingredient in the cup by using adjectives such as generous, loosely-packed, tightly-packed, scant, rounded, heaping, sifted, level, etc.

Coffee machine makers seem now to refer to a cup as something that must be a 100 or 125 ml (3 or 4 oz) cup. Their cup measurement doesn't match up with any kitchen Measuring Cup, let alone any coffee cups or mugs that anybody actually uses to drink out of. But they can do that, as cup is not a legally defined term.
I hope you're making notes .....

There's lots more information on the subject:

http://www.cooksinfo.com/measuring-cups

..... but maybe you'd rather do something else with your life .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:43 PM

Here is one I couldn't work out
the more I look at it the worse it gets

Organic Elderflower Cordial.

Nutritional Info.
Typical values per 100ml diluted 1 to 10
Energy kcal 22
So how many kcal per glass if you use 8ml of Cordial .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Measuring Cups are so American:

I hope you're making notes .....

There's lots more information on the subject:

http://www.cooksinfo.com/measuring-cups

..... but maybe you'd rather do something else with your life .....
It was lucky l didn't use a mug!! ....Or was that me, for attempting such an awkward recipe?!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Why can't you light a candle in a spacecraft?
Because candles can only burn upwards and there is no "UP" in a spacecraft .....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-08-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Because candles can only burn upwards and there is no "UP" in a spacecraft .....
Omah, l thought the answer was something to do with the oxygen levels in a spacecraft?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top