Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Re: David Austin roses

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's good dongles, I'm pleased for you.

Mine are taking a battering too, I have put a couple of extra stakes in this morning to protect a couple of them, I hope they hold together alright.
Such a shame to lose them in full bloom isn't it.
Yes, very annoying that this happened just after they came out.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 10:56 AM

My front path is covered with rose petals, pretty and sad
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
After last night's wind and rain I was expecting to see my new roses in tatters this morning but despite everything, they are intact. Next door's roses on the other hand are scattered all over their lawn.

A testament to David Austin I think.
That would be the wind I suspect, or are DA Roses known for better leaf hold I wonder.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
That would be the wind I suspect, or are DA Roses known for better leaf hold I wonder.
I don't really know to be honest, I can only compare with them with my neighbour's which have suffered badly. It's sad to see them. I just thought I would mention it in case this thread appears in someone's Google search for reviews on DA Roses.

My French beans however have not fared so well.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:39 AM

I don't really know to be honest, I can only compare with them with my neighbour's which have suffered badly. It's sad to see them. I just thought I would mention it in case this thread appears in someone's Google search for reviews on DA Roses.

My French beans however have not fared so well.
The French beans tend to sulk a bit if you have some warm days and cold nights, mine are the same. I must check out the DA roses, paying a bit extra for a longer show makes sense.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-06-2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
The French beans tend to sulk a bit if you have some warm days and cold nights, mine are the same. I must check out the DA roses, paying a bit extra for a longer show makes sense.
They seem to have recovered a bit thankfully.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

12-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Just an update on David Austin Roses for anyone Googling this.

Further to my previous comments about how well they did during the rain and wind, it seems the pale pink varieties have become a bit waterlogged causing the petals to turn brown and fall off (luckily, there are still new buds waiting to open. These are Ancient Mariner and Olivia Rose.

The darker pink Gertrude Jekyll is still perfect.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2017, 07:37 PM

Yes. the wind has ripped through my garden, flattening many plants. My french bean leaves are now like paper, they crumble in my hands. But onward and upward I say, things always recover. I went out late one stormy night and put little plastic bags over my roses that were about to flower!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

13-06-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
Yes. the wind has ripped through my garden, flattening many plants. My french bean leaves are now like paper, they crumble in my hands. But onward and upward I say, things always recover. I went out late one stormy night and put little plastic bags over my roses that were about to flower!
That's a good idea, I was trying to think of ways to cover the whole plant but putting bags over the blooms sounds easier.

I paid another visit to the garden centre yesterday and noted that all their DA Ancient Mariner roses are the same as mine, brown, waterlogged and falling off. I least I know I haven't done anything wrong.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

13-06-2017, 08:03 PM

That's a good idea, I was trying to think of ways to cover the whole plant but putting bags over the blooms sounds easier.

I paid another visit to the garden centre yesterday and noted that all their DA Ancient Mariner roses are the same as mine, brown, waterlogged and falling off. I least I know I haven't done anything wrong.
Last year Aldi did a large brown reinforced paper bag for covering roses and other shrubs, I bought a couple which I still have in the shed.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top