Join for free
Page 5 of 50 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2018, 12:26 AM

Re: Brexit and the EU

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I was discussing this subject with a friend at the weekend. He mentioned ignorance and arrogance as the reason we have Brexit.
Now that really is a coincidence!

I was discussing that very same subject with a friend last weekend. Believe it or not, she mentioned ignorance and arrogance as the reasons some people are still whingeing that we should remain in the EU dictatorship.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2018, 03:04 AM

Hi

My views.

The majority of eligible voters voted to Leave, that is how democracy works.

Barnier works for his political masters, his remit has been set by the Leaders of the EU States.

The EU States, a fractious bunch on many things, have been remarkably solid in their resolve so far, they have not moved an inch.

We have set out our red lines, really very simple, no Customs Union, no Single Market, no Norway or Swiss Models, right at the start of the process.

That leaves two options, a simple Free Trade Agreement or WTO Rules.

One of the reasons we are leaving is to strike our own free Trade Deals, which will be along the lines of all other Free Trade Deals, including the one offered by the EU, the Canada Deal.

We want more, but the EU will not give us a bespoke agreement along the lines we want.

There are reasons for this, it would trigger clauses in their existing Trade Agreements forcing them to offer the same agreement to all the others.

The EU have taken the view that this would not be in their best interests.

As regards Ireland, they have a Veto on any deal, as do all EU Countries.

It is Varadkar who is leading the charge on ths, not the EU.

It is a pure piece of political opportunism on his behalf.

What ever the outcome of all this, I agree with Moscow on this issue, we have to respond.
Str4wb3rry
New Member!
East Anglia
Str4wb3rry is female 

11-07-2018, 02:34 PM

It seems pretty odd to be doing something that everyone acknowledges will disadvantage everyone. I was talking to an American friend last night and he was saying how disastrous the trade war Trump and China are fighting will be for Western economies in general. Going for a hard brexit in the middle of a global trade war is madness.
Madness isn't compulsory, it's optional.
Most of us have opted for it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 01:42 PM

Brexit is more about celebrating having bread and water while the rest of the world eats cake... Just saying
No it's far more than that.

BrExit is about eating bread and water in freedom as opposed to being shackled into slavery by elitist megalomaniacs who will offer you cake as a bribe.

Every sensible person knows BrExit will hurt and every right minded citizen who respects the sacrifices made during the wars knows that the pain MUST be endured in order to secure freedom from the emerging totalitarian state.

You are not going to frighten us with all the talk of bad things that will happen or it all being madness. I don't care if I am worse off, I don't care if I have to be poorer to be free. Truth and justice transcend those petty things.

The UK should be free of foreign rule.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 08:16 AM

No person or country that is poor can be free.

You are enslaved to the whims of those you beg your crust of bread from, they are your masters.

And as a country we'll be enslaved to the diktats of those we need to beg for trade deals to survive.

Your masters are already laying down the law,

You may be masochistic enough to want to suffer for that sort of illusion of freedom but that doesn't give you the right to inflict the suffering on everyone else.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I don't care if I am worse off, I don't care if I have to be poorer to be free. Truth and justice transcend those petty things.

"I don't care" is exactly what people say if they don't understand how our economy works.

Brexit will make us far more vulnerable to foreign rule. Foreign rule is dictated by economics.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
No it's far more than that.

BrExit is about eating bread and water in freedom as opposed to being shackled into slavery by elitist megalomaniacs who will offer you cake as a bribe.

Every sensible person knows BrExit will hurt and every right minded citizen who respects the sacrifices made during the wars knows that the pain MUST be endured in order to secure freedom from the emerging totalitarian state.

You are not going to frighten us with all the talk of bad things that will happen or it all being madness. I don't care if I am worse off, I don't care if I have to be poorer to be free. Truth and justice transcend those petty things.

Award yourself a straight banana.
CRY FREEDOOOOM
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 09:48 AM

Hi

I must admit to self interest in my views about accepting a Canada style deal.

Financial Services are not a big thing in Rural North Shropshire, much more a London and South East thing.

We do however export vast amounts of stuff to the EU, so a Canada Deal, which is Tariff Free, would secure local jobs.

The foodstuffs are fresh and there is no market for them here in the UK.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 10:11 AM

How many years did they take to negotiate the Canada deal?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I must admit to self interest in my views about accepting a Canada style deal.
As you said, that's how democracy works.
We all vote for our own best local interests, that gives us a consensus to act on. Some we win some we lose.

Isn't that how the EU works?

Page 5 of 50 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top