Join for free
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 08:45 AM

The Budget Cuts

How do you think the budget cuts will effect you?

I do not see any problems for me in the near future so the cuts may not be hard enough.

What are your views?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 09:36 AM

Re: The Budget Cuts

As an OAP and retired now, apart from the v.a.t. increase coming in January I don't think he has done a lot to directly affect us, so we are fortunate. I believe Osborne has said he will not cut anything from pensioners, but we could do without the fuel allowance and could have stood to a bit more on income tax if it was necessary.
Things will keep going up and up with inflation I suppose and I think we are beginning to notice cost of living increases now.
I am concerned about the amount the Police force are going to lose and how these measures will affect unemployment.
I am puzzled as to why he did not cut foreign aid a bit - is it necessary to keep a healthy diplomatic profile on the world stage - not sure about that one.
Time will tell about the rest. I also feel a prickle of concern for people bringing up children these days.
I do think he has gone far enough - time to see how these measures work I think.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 11:21 AM

With the Retirement age being increased - this would presumably be fine for anyone who is already in employment (and hopefully enjoying their work), but the modern attitude appears to be against anyone over 50!!! So sadly would their 'job seeking' be officially stretched (and dismal) rather than be able to retire?

Rainbow
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 01:18 PM

The one thing I am worried about is how Wales is already getting screwed - Labour spent years building us up, and now the tories are intent on destroying us!!!

There are 7 passport offices in the UK - it was really dumb to try and close down the only one in Wales!
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2010, 05:19 PM

I can't see how these cuts are going to help. People are losing thier jobs rapidly so it will cost more in unemployment benefit, because there is no jobs.
Thier plans to force disabled people back into work to save benefit won't happen as there will not even be jobs for the able bodied so disabled will still need thier benefits.
They put up the age of retirement to cut down on pensions that need to be paid, but that means less jobs for young people so they will be on the dole costing even more and so soul destroying for the youngsters.
This all seems a bit back to front to me and a case of robbing peter to pay paul again.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top