Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:17 PM

Re: Winning an argument

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz3zseSPL6U

The study also suggests using 'calm' language to make a point is more effective than swearing or using aggressive terms.

In the paper, examples of 'calm' words include those that are softer-sounding such as 'librarian' and 'dull' than harsh, 'sharp' words such as 'terrorism' and 'erection.'
I don't think I've ever used "erection" in a debate but I've made a note not to use it in any future exchange .....
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:24 PM

What a daft article. How totally pointless. If all we have to do all day is try to win arguments, its come to a pretty pass. Trying to win an argument is one of the most futile activities known to humankind.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
What a daft article. How totally pointless. If all we have to do all day is try to win arguments, its come to a pretty pass. Trying to win an argument is one of the most futile activities known to humankind.

Dull as dishwater ............
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:30 PM

I don't think I've ever used "erection" in a debate but I've made a note not to use it in any future exchange ..... [/QUOTE]

You could use it to good effect in an argument about the rate of inflation Omah?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 06:38 PM

Can't be bothered to listen to foolish people whose sole aim in life is to conquer, control every situation they find themselves in.
A total waste of energy on their part and irritating for those of us with a modicum of common sense IMO.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Can't be bothered to listen to foolish people whose sole aim in life is to conquer, control every situation they find themselves in.
A total waste of energy on their part and irritating for those of us with a modicum of common sense IMO.

I second this and I will even give it a
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
I second this and I will even give it a
Woohoooo ... can't argue wth that
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
That's right Patsy!
I haven't got the stamina to argue a point for more than about four posts.
Humour always helps, but it seems to annoy serious folk.

Tut tut tut, Tess, humour? Dirty word for some, especially when they're in the throws of a good punch up.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Nice thought Nom but lets be honest, when you look at it who really cares who wins an argument when lives or livelihoods don’t depend on the outcome.
Domestic arguments become fewer and fewer as one gets older, it’s so long now since the wife and me had a good ding dong that I forget how to argue with her, we slag each other now and laugh because we know there’s no point is rowing.
I must say some of the arguments on forums do amuse me, so funny to see mature men/women getting all hot under the collar and hammering away at each other about something they can do absolutely nothing about. Your health is your wealth and to hell with stupid arguments, that's for politicians who get well paid for it.
You're so right Jem, my brother and I used to get into some heated political banter when I was working. I would be ranting away about something or other and he would be so calm. He would let me have my say and then come out with "So what do you intend to do about it?"
My reply would be "Huh!" and he would repeat the question. I would have to say "What CAN I do about it". he would answer "Exactly, nothing! so why are you getting so excited about it!". I was usually left speechless !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
You're so right Jem, my brother and I used to get into some heated political banter when I was working. I would be ranting away about something or other and he would be so calm. He would let me have my say and then come out with "So what do you intend to do about it?"
My reply would be "Huh!" and he would repeat the question. I would have to say "What CAN I do about it". he would answer "Exactly, nothing! so why are you getting so excited about it!". I was usually left speechless !
Funny and so true

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top