Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 03:34 PM

Re: Would any other country do this???

Originally Posted by Pats ->
What are the father's wishes?
Read the link. He wants life support switched off.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Read the link. He wants life support switched off.
And the baby to die.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 01:48 AM

This is such a difficult one, and its very sad.
I think in a way that the fathers wishes should be taken seriously, it is his child after all, not the authorities.
I understand the woman's father also wishes for the life support to end as well.
Also, maybe it would be better in a way, to let it go gently now rather than at 30 weeks or more?
Perhaps no one wants to take responsibility for the inevitable backlash or possible legal action if they don't at least try to save the baby.
At what age is aborting a foetus classed as murder?
Or perhaps it's become more of a scientific experiment now, to see if such a young foetus can be 'grown' into a full term baby.
And who will be held responsible if a child is eventually born 'abnormal' with serious health defects, unable to ever live a normal life? How could it be proven whether that might have been the case anyway, or whether them messing about with things had harmed the foetus?
And lastly, if the father couldn't or wouldn't bring up the baby on his own, what would happen to it then?

Lots to consider.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 07:17 AM

Its not a decision that i would like to make either way, at such a time when emotions are raw..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 03:20 PM

2.20pm - I've just read that an Irish court has ruled that the life-support machine should be switched off. Common sense rules at last.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
2.20pm - I've just read that an Irish court has ruled that the life-support machine should be switched off. Common sense rules at last.
Someone was saying on the radio news this morning that the woman's body was starting to decompose and it was infected and that the baby would be too

I guess the life support can keep the vital organs going but do nothing about an infected wound .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 04:20 PM

That's what I thought when I read the body was infected
Thanks for the info Alan .....
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Yes, it was announced here shortly after midday, thank goodness. The verdict included a statement to the effect that continuing life support denies the woman any dignity in death and causes unacceptable suffering and anguish to the family, which the judges said was unjustified in view of the fact that all the medical evidence suggested that there was unlikely to be a live baby at the end of it anyway.

This is what so incensed me - the medics knew that they were unlikely to deliver a live baby but were fearful of being charged/taken to court because of a part of the Irish constitution that protects the unborn child. I cannot imagine the anguish that this woman's family have gone through, and it seemed so unnecessary.

RIP mother and baby.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Its not a decision that i would like to make either way, at such a time when emotions are raw..
And that is why it is up to the Courts to rule in cases such as this one, as they can look at all the facts objectively in order to make the right decision.
Pats
Lincolnshire

26-12-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
This is what so incensed me - the medics knew that they were unlikely to deliver a live baby but were fearful of being charged/taken to court because of a part of the Irish constitution that protects the unborn child.
So blame the constitution.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top